1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot display this video mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by catsigh, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catsigh

catsigh Thread Starter

I am working with a friend's computer. She was up and running on a compaq using a small dell lcd monitor. She was trying to change skins on the media player and it started acting up. On boot it displays cannot display this video mode. I got it into safe mode and tried changing things, but it isn't even showing refresh rate or display options. After some various tries, I did get it up in safe by activating the VGA setting. However later it would start the Windows welcome screen, but then go blank.

I considered it may be the video card. I brought the machine home with me and after a couple of times it booted up just fine on my samsung monitor. However it showed a line that it was using a registry file from elsewhere in the system I reset it to a restore point before this problem started, ran antivirus, CCleaner and it was sailing along fine. I returned it this morning and got a call that when they hooked it back up to the Dell monitor, the machine showing the same message.

Right now I am seeking another monitor, but still would like to have some suggestions. I have tried everything I know.

2. catsigh

catsigh Thread Starter

Oh and I did not change the video card. the video is part of the motherboard.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!