1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot display webpage - Fine after rebooting router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by marcush24, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marcush24

marcush24 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Im desperate for help. Firstly, I have a Belkin 802.11g Wireless Modem Router and we have 4 computers running XP connected to it, 3 of which are wireless. I am with Tiscali, on a 2mb speed.

Heres the situation;

I will be browsing the Xbox forums without a problem for a few hours, then the next minute, when i click a link, it will say the page cannot be displayed. So I reboot the router, and everything works fine, for a few hours, then the same happens again. This happens on all the computers at the same time.

Does anyone know what could be the problem?

I have tried disabling the router firewall, and also tried changing the MTU to 1400 from 1492.

Thanks in advanced for any help!
    Marcus

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make and model of the broadband modem.
    Make and model of the router.
    Connection type, wired or wireless.
    If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
    Make/model of your computer.
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

Have you checked for upgraded firmware from Belkin for your router? Have you reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigured. Does the DSL modem remain connected with a steady data light when the connection fails?

3. marcush24

marcush24 Thread Starter

Belkin 802.11g Wireless ADSL Modem Router F5D7230-4

Wired and Wireless ( 4 computers )

WEP

4 Different models of computer, all running XP.

SP2 on all Computers

I can still connect to the internet, its just certain pages won't load, like the Xbox Forums for example. Occasionally, I will lose connection altogether but then instantly be re-connected.

4. JohnWill

OK, that's a bit different. So, only specific sites fail? Will they ever come back if you DON'T reset the router? This really doesn't sound like a router issue to me. My previous suggestions of firmware and a factory reset still stand.

5. marcush24

marcush24 Thread Starter

No they wont come back until I restart the router.

So, Resetting to factory defaults is first on the list to do, and then Firmware update.

What other suggestions do you have?

6. JohnWill

Try a new router. :)

Have you ever connected directly to the modem with a wired connection for a day to see if the situation is localized to the router?

7. marcush24

marcush24 Thread Starter

No, I dont know where I put the Modem haha

This Router is barely a year old though, hmmm. Never trust Belkin :(

8. JohnWill

This could still be an ISP issue, it's really had to say.

9. marcush24

marcush24 Thread Starter

Yeah, tough one ain't it. It seems to be a router problem to me though, because of when I restart it, it works fine again for a few hours. Hmmm

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643343

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice