1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot download Adobe flash player

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BravoRoc, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BravoRoc

BravoRoc Thread Starter

Hi,
    I am running XP, my browser is Firefox and I am having a huge problem downloading any Adobe products. I have uninstalled all Adobe software and still no change. I had tried to load flash player.
    I do not get an error msg, it just does not appear as a download file to save or run. I just restored my hard drive and have no idea as to why this issue came up.
    Already firefox is hanging up or at times very slow. Could it be ff?
    Your help would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanx,
    roc

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Why the restore. By that I presume you mean a reinstallation of windows.
    What please made that necessary.
    Are other attempted downloads also presenting problems.
    I notice that you have 2Gb ram, are you certain that it is OK, have you run memtest or similar.
    Faulty ram, could be the problem, BUT it would of course make all attempted operations slow, not just Adobe.

3. BravoRoc

BravoRoc Thread Starter

I was having the problem for so long I did the restore as a last resort. Yes, complete. No, I have not tried memtest. All the same problems seem to be here, although I can download some items.
    I will run a memtest and see what happens.
    thanx,
    roc

4. BravoRoc

BravoRoc Thread Starter

Well, I guess I should have asked. Is that on board software? I tried looking it up at help and support. So, please do tell,

5. Omovie

Omovie

Sometime it's like that when you want to download adobe flash player. I guess u have to use a download manager to get it (download).

6. TOGG

TOGG

Did you use the uninstaller from Adobe? If not, there could be some traces of the old version left which are preventing the new install, read this; http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html (Note that if you run the uninstaller, it will also remove the Flash plugin from IE so you will probably want to replace it, even if you don't use IE much).

If you go here using each browser you have installed on your computer you should be offerred the Non Active X version for Firefox and the Active X version for IE;http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ (The version for Firefox is 1.83MB and should download as an .exe file which you just doubleclick on to install (having closed Firefox first)). The IE version will be larger because it includes a toolbar which you need to uncheck if you don't want it. I have always stayed online and followed the onscreen prompts to complete the IE install, although I have seen an .exe version of the plugin for IE at a 'third party' website.

Obviously, if the problem is not confined to the Flash plugin and there are other software or hardware issues, none of the above may help.

7. BravoRoc

BravoRoc Thread Starter

Thank you all for the help you gave. Thanks to TOGG for the site to remove earlier corrupted files. After following the instructions, I was able to install the player w/o problems. I will follow that method in the future.
    Macboatmaster; you mentioned a memory test. I checked several sites to find such software, but no luck. Do you know of such programs and where I might find one? Using windows help files, I was able to open up the size of the page file and set PC for performance, instead of the PC deciding. Is that anywhere close to what you had in mind? I am always open to suggestions,
    Thanks again to all,
    roc

8. TOGG

TOGG

Good to hear that your Flash player problem is resolved.

There is something called MemTest which I've heard of but never used; http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ If you're going to try it, read the Manual carefully first!

I vaguely remember reading something about adjusting page file settings but I no longer remember the details, except for the inference that it was not recommended. At least you will know the likely cause if you suddenly start to get new problems!

9. TOGG

TOGG

If you recently reinstalled Windows you may also have reinstalled some other programs that have recently been updated for security reasons (apart from this week's important patches for IE and Firefox).

If you have Foxit Reader (for pdf documents) or Sun Java installed, you will need to make sure you get the latest versions

10. BravoRoc

BravoRoc Thread Starter

I will check out both and get back to you. I did increase the page file limit and so far, no problems.
    Thanx,
    roc

11. BravoRoc

BravoRoc Thread Starter

Toog,
    Sorry it took so long to get back to you; I hope you had a great holiday. So, let me update you on the latest.
    I was able to install and run the memory test, w/o error. However the page file thing did not work so well and really slowed my PC to a near crawl, especially Firefox. It now hangs up and crashes altogether at times. It has all the updates, but it is still erratic. Is there anything you might suggest to repair it?
    All the Adobe issues are stable and running. Have you had any dealings with Radio Time? It's an internet radio program. Could this be a network problems?
    Thanks again for all your help,
    roc

12. antech

antech Banned

Try reinstalling firefox and disable the Un-necessary add-ons

13. TOGG

TOGG

Have you handed control of the page file back to your computer? Not sure about causes of hang ups and crashes unless it is the page file.

Is the 'it' you refer to in your post the whole computer or just Firefox? I don't use it much but, so far, I haven't noticed any problems with the latest version of FF (3.6.2). I only have a few Addons though!

14. BravoRoc

BravoRoc Thread Starter

Togg,

Yes, I did return the page file to it's original state. The it was FF. On other programs, I generally have no problems. FF is very slow if it doesn't shut down completely. Antech suggested to delete and reinstall FF and I did with it's own uninstall program. I only have one add on, so let's see what happens. So far, it is running well, but it's only been minutes since I made the changes.
    I am open to any other suggestions, so just let me know,
    roc

PS: Thanks too, Antech.

15. antech

antech Banned

Keep this thread open for a few days and see if the issue persists.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!