Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannot download new browser on Windows XP SP3 Pro

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Elizabeth23 
#1 ·
I tried downloading your free SysInfo utility but when I clicked on it nothing happened so I couldn't cut and paste as instructed.
Just in the last couple of weeks I have been trying to download Comodo Ice Dragon as Firefox will no longer support XP later this year. When I click on the blue arrow top right of screen and try downloading/running Comodo Ice Dragon a message pops up indicating, "The instruction at 0x01fa9ffc referenced the memory at 0x00000000 could not be read."
At around the same time I noticed that I could no longer insert a picture in an email in Outlook Express, although this may belong to another thread. When I click "browse" (to search for the picture) nothing happens.
And also around the same time, the text in my emails, Word, and websites has become light grey and slightly grainy.

#2 ·
Chances are high that that version of Comodo doesn't support XP any longer. I think its version 45 or 46 and up that no longer work with XP.

#3 · (Edited)
Unfortunately, Valis is quite right.

If you intend to stay with XP very much longer, you are soon going to have to accept that it simply will not be safe to surf the 'net any more.

AFAIK, after Mozilla ditches browser support for XP later this year, that will be the last of the big browsers that have waved bye-bye.

You have two options, as I see it. You can either upgrade to a newer, still-supported version of Window (with the attendant concerns as to whether your hardware will work with it, whether drivers can be obtained, etc, etc.)

Or your other option is try out one of the modern Linux distros (short for distributions). These will mostly work well with older hardware.....and they are not the fearsome things of yore. They are, for the most part, extremely user-friendly these days; easy-to-use, with plenty of GUIs & 'wizards' to guide you through setting-up.....none of that 'terminal' stuff to worry yourself about, if you don't want to.

I would recommend looking into Ubuntu & Linux Mint, the two currently most popular distros there are, and upon which hundreds of others are based. They have huge user-bases, and plenty of online support available.....and most of the forums are very friendly and helpful. The image of the Linux 'geeks' snarling 'RTFM!!' at everyone is a thing of the past.

Your choice, really.....but one option will cost you an arm & a leg, whereas the other is completely free.

Mike. ;)

Reactions: Johnny b
#5 ·
Thank you Elizabeth. I'm going to take a closer look at your list as soon as I have a few minutes to spare. SeaMonkey perhaps, but I'll do some research on all of them. Will take your advice though and ignore the chomium based browsers.

In response to Valis I think Comodo Ice Dragon claims to support Windows XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.