1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot download, random error messages

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jimmie123, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimmie123

jimmie123 Thread Starter

I'm attempting to help a friend who is not very computer capable.

She has Win XP Pro, SP 2, and I believe IE 6. She has been getting a bunch of error messages (IE has encountered a problem and must close). I don't have access to her comp, but wondered if anyone knew of a possible reason. I suggested that she d/l IE 7, however, everytime she tried, she got the same message and was kicked to the "send/don't send" box for the Microsoft "problem" reporting and then to desktop. Any ideas?? :confused:

2. Athan

Athan

Can you reproduce the problem if you use some other browser like firefox or opera ?
    Also, could you tell us how exactly are you trying to upgrade to IE7 from IE 6 ? If you are using windows update then what is the exact error message that you are getting ?

3. jimmie123

jimmie123 Thread Starter

According to what she's telling me, she's getting these "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and must close" messages frequently. When she tried to d/l the IE 7, it was from the Microsoft Windows update site. She got as far as the "download" tab, and when she pressed the tab, got the same error message. This happened several times, as she tried to d/l it 3 or 4 times. The messages are coming up randomly, for example, if she uses Yahoo Mail, she can send mail if she keys the enitre recipient address in, however, if she uses a "nickname" for the recipients address, she get's the same error message. I'm trying to help her by phone, which isn't easy, lol.

4. jimmie123

jimmie123 Thread Starter

As far as the IE 7 d/l, she was at the Microsoft Windows update site. She got as far as the "download" tab and when she pressed it, she got the "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and must close" message....this happened 3 or 4 times. This also happens randomly...for example, if she wants to send an email, as long as she keys the entire address in, it'll be sent. However, if she uses a nickname, the "must close" message pops up (she uses Yahoo Mail). I'm attempting to help her by phone, which isn't easy.

5. snowmunky

snowmunky

try to determine what module (DLL) it's faulting in... that will give you a palce to start.

troubleshooting generic IE crashes is like shooting in the dark... there's no way you'll be able to narrow it down without further research/troubleshooting.

review the application/system event logs and see if you can determine what module is causing IE to fault and crash.

i'd also be likely to recommend running the system file checker (sfc /scannow from a run prompt) to see if that helps at all, or look for a program called "IEFix" (http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm)

hopefully i'm allowed to link to external sites here... sorry if i'm breaking any rules....

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice