1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot drag items onto taskbar to maximise windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by StevenX, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StevenX

StevenX Thread Starter

I'm having a really strange problem lately, whereby I can't drag items to the taskbar to open the corresponding Window (e.g. to drag an item from the Desktop into Windows Explorer).

What's been happening for me the last couple of weeks is that nothing happens at all. The taskbar entry for the application I'm hovering over is darkened/highlighted, but the window itself never maximizes..

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

2. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    Are you talking about the 'Quick Launch' part of the task bar?? Sorry slightly confused here.

3. StevenX

StevenX Thread Starter

No. Ordinarily in Windows, when you drag a file/icon/whatever on to any minimized application, that application will maximize.
    For example, if I had an mp3 file on the desktop, and I have Windows Explorer open but minimized, I should be able to drag my MP3 file from the desktop to where it says "Windows Explorer," in the task bar (the same are I'd click to maximise it) and it should automatically maximize, allowing you to drag the MP3 into the window.

4. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    Ah ha! I see now. You learn something new everyday eh?

I'm sorry but I do not know why you cannot do it. Does it work on a different user profile?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!