Cannot Edit .bat File

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

FAZEKAS

winxp pro OS ,,,,I cannot edit any batch file on the system. I can get to the properties of the file but it wont let me edit. When i try it tells me that it cannot be found.
Any ideas would be awesome

Hi FAZEKAS,

You have just to rename the file with the .TXT extension to open it with Notepad or second possibility, you click on Start and Execute, type cmd to get the DOS console and you type edit path of your file.

FAZEKAS

Chicon said:
Hi FAZEKAS,

You have just to rename the file with the .TXT extension to open it with Notepad or second possibility, you click on Start and Execute, type cmd to get the DOS console and you type edit path of your file.

This .bat file is used to transfer medical records and is located on a server but is executed thru a mapped drive, if i rename to txt it wont be function

Once you have modified with Notepad what it is needed, you rename the file with the .BAT extension.

Also, before renaming extension of the .BAT file, make the extension of files visible.
To do this : double click on the My Computer icon, select Tools, select Folders Options, select Display tab, uncheck "Hide the extension of files whose type is known", click OK to apply

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If it tells you "file not found", it could be that the properties for the BAT extension are corrupt. Have you tried right clicking on the BAT file and selecting "edit with" and pick Notepad from the list. Check the "always edit with this app" box when you do, and it'll use that to edit BAT files from then on.

Notepad is perfectly capable of editing any text file. You do not need to change the extension back and forth between .txt and .bat.

As a test:
1. Open a cmd prompt
2. Go to whatever directory you want
3. Create a batch file with notepad (notepad test.bat)
You will be prompted that test.bat doesn't exist and do you want to create it (yes)
4. Put whatever text you want in the batch file.
5. Save the file and close notepad
6. Then repeat step #3.
7. Does the file open

If so then you can edit batch files and something else is going on.

Since the bat file you want is on a mapped network drive, can you go to that directory and do step #3 but substitute the name of the batch file

Or with the windows explorer, can you right click on the file and select Edit

When one rt. clicks a *.bat files, 'edit' is an option. Click on 'edit' and the file will open in notepad, and can be edited and saved. If the *.bat file is on a mapped drive and rt. click does not offer an 'edit' option, the administrator must have made it a 'read only' file. You can copy it to your hard disk, remove 'read only' attribute and when you rt. click the copied file, the 'edit' option should be there.

Preet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online