1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Edit .bat File

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by FAZEKAS, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FAZEKAS

FAZEKAS Thread Starter

winxp pro OS ,,,,I cannot edit any batch file on the system. I can get to the properties of the file but it wont let me edit. When i try it tells me that it cannot be found.
    Any ideas would be awesome

2. Chicon

Chicon

Hi FAZEKAS,

You have just to rename the file with the .TXT extension to open it with Notepad or second possibility, you click on Start and Execute, type cmd to get the DOS console and you type edit path of your file.

3. FAZEKAS

FAZEKAS Thread Starter

This .bat file is used to transfer medical records and is located on a server but is executed thru a mapped drive, if i rename to txt it wont be function

4. Chicon

Chicon

Once you have modified with Notepad what it is needed, you rename the file with the .BAT extension.

5. Chicon

Chicon

Also, before renaming extension of the .BAT file, make the extension of files visible.
    To do this : double click on the My Computer icon, select Tools, select Folders Options, select Display tab, uncheck "Hide the extension of files whose type is known", click OK to apply

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If it tells you "file not found", it could be that the properties for the BAT extension are corrupt. Have you tried right clicking on the BAT file and selecting "edit with" and pick Notepad from the list. Check the "always edit with this app" box when you do, and it'll use that to edit BAT files from then on.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Notepad is perfectly capable of editing any text file. You do not need to change the extension back and forth between .txt and .bat.

As a test:
    1. Open a cmd prompt
    2. Go to whatever directory you want
    3. Create a batch file with notepad (notepad test.bat)
    You will be prompted that test.bat doesn't exist and do you want to create it (yes)
    4. Put whatever text you want in the batch file.
    5. Save the file and close notepad
    6. Then repeat step #3.
    7. Does the file open

If so then you can edit batch files and something else is going on.

Since the bat file you want is on a mapped network drive, can you go to that directory and do step #3 but substitute the name of the batch file

Or with the windows explorer, can you right click on the file and select Edit

8. preet_kumar

preet_kumar

When one rt. clicks a *.bat files, 'edit' is an option. Click on 'edit' and the file will open in notepad, and can be edited and saved. If the *.bat file is on a mapped drive and rt. click does not offer an 'edit' option, the administrator must have made it a 'read only' file. You can copy it to your hard disk, remove 'read only' attribute and when you rt. click the copied file, the 'edit' option should be there.

Preet

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!