1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot enter bios or boot options on older system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ewebinvegas, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ewebinvegas

ewebinvegas Thread Starter

Hello! I am unable to get into bios or the boot options menu on an older machine. (Emachines T3304 desktop, phoenix award bios NAA21EM, FIC K8MC51G MB).

When attempting to enter the boot options menu (F10) or the bios (F2) all I get is a blank screen, no display. Will flashing the bios fix this issue? If so, how do I get the machine to boot from usb or from cd to complete the update with no access to the boot options?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

So I understand. You do not see anything on the screen ie no POST data, no splash screen, nothing. Is that correct?

3. ewebinvegas

Not entirely, no. The emachines splash screen does appear, but when I hit the key to enter, all I get is a blank screen. It does not display the menus.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some basic troubleshooting;
    Open the case and make sure all connections ie atx, aux, etc are secure.
    Have you tried another keyboard?
    If you have done the above, then you can try the following;
    1 Case open and system OFF.
    2 Pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
    3 Remove any add-in cards, ie sound, nic/lan, etc. Leave the video card installed however do reseat the card. Make sure it is fully seated.
    4 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, scanner, hub, etc. Leave your keyboard connected [if usb]
    5 Clear cmos with the clear jumper. Replace the jumper to the keep position.
    6 Now pw ON and see if you can enter the bios, MB completes POST. If so, shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part.
    7 If you still have the problem, you are going to have to swap parts with known good units, ie pw supply, mb, ram, etc.

FWIW emachines come with very cheap parts; in particular the pw supply. Unless it is a very new system, it is not worth putting any money into fixing and older emachine.

5. ewebinvegas

I completed through step 6. MB completed POST upon boot, set to defaults, however, when I hit F2 to enter setup, I still get a blank screen, no menu display. I will try swapping parts to see if there is a change there.

I appreciate your time, thank you.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice