1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot exchange files- PC to Zenpad Tablet (Android 6.0.1)

Discussion in 'Android Mobile Devices' started by ShanChi, Jun 12, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. ShanChi

ShanChi Thread Starter

Recently upgraded my Zenpad S 80 tablet computer to Android 6.0.1. In the process, a software named (Asus) PCLink was removed as it is not compatible with Android 6.0.1. The software enabled the tablet to communicate with a PC over a USB cable and so, now without that software or any suitable replacement, it seems impossible to transfer files directly between the devices.

I have looked online for solutions. Most answers refer to Settings options which are not, in fact, in the Settings menu on my Zenpad. I suspect the reason the Android 6.0.1 version is not compatible with the PCLink software is because tablets that are originally installed with this OS version also have a Settings menu which enables USB connectivity - so the PCLink software is unnecessary. But the Settings menu on my tablet provides no such options. One Setting option is "Storage and USB" but it actually only describes internal storage and has no reference at all to USB.

Of course, it is always possible to transfer files over the Internet. But many times I am in a location where there is no Internet service, so a direct transfer method is important to me.

Does anyone know any way to make my tablet and PC communicate via USB?

2. ShanChi

ShanChi Thread Starter

Finally worked out my own solution that may be helpful to others.

1. Need to be certain "Developer" option is enabled which is very tricky, not at all obvious.
    [The following is from - http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/ai2/setup-device-usb.html ]

On Android 4.2 and newer, Developer options is hidden by default. To make it available, go to Settings > About phone and tap Build number seven times. Return to the previous screen to find Developer options, including "USB Debugging".​

2. The step above helped insofar as Win10 then seemed to recognize that some kind of USB device was plugged in, BUT I still could not fully access the files on the tablet. So checked the driver in Device Manager, Universal Serial Bus controllers, found Android, checked properties: "Not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match". So, asked Windows to search Web for updated driver. It found the right driver, and finally all was well. This MS site was helpful -
    [The following is from - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...e/242f471f-9b20-4981-bec5-a236a235b25b?page=2 ]

Q: What is the meaning of 'device could not be migrated' in device manager?
    1. Right click on Start button, type Device Manager and Enter.
    2. Find the drivers which needs to be installed and also see something with a yellow exclamation, probably under the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" category. If yes, update it.
    3. Right click whatever device has a yellow exclamation and select "Uninstall".
    4. Go to the "Actions" Menu at top. Select "Scan for hardware changes". Windows will hopefully recognize the device now and load the proper driver.

So, in short, to exchange files between your Asus Zenpad S 80 tablet and Windows 10 PC, you need (1) to be darn sure that "USB Debugging" is enabled and (2) check the state of the driver in Universal Serial Bus Controllers in Device Manager.

How does anyone with a REAL life have time to figure all this out?

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice