1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Execute a Search

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by rcrobb, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rcrobb

rcrobb Thread Starter

Hello,
    I am using Windows XP, IE7. When I go to Google and type in my search keywords and click Go, I get the message: File cannot be found c:\program files\propel accelerator\docroot\search. The problem may be related to Propel but it is working perfectly. It might also have something to do with my internet security settings but those are the only two things I can think of. I tried re-installing Propel Web Accelerator but that didn't work. I am so frustrated! Can you please help?

2. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

Am I right in thinking you're going to www.google.com or another version of Google on the web (i.e. not a local copy)?

It seems Propel Accelerator is interfering with your browsing. Try following a direct link: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=hello+world&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Does the same problem occur with Firefox? (if you don't have it, get it :p) The only other thing I can think of is if the hosts file has been edited. Hold the windows key and r and type in to the Run box: notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. This will open up the hosts file. If there is anything there other than the lines beginning with # and 127.0.0.1 localhost, then it is possible that it has been edited.

HTH

3. rcrobb

rcrobb Thread Starter

Hi,
    Thanks for replying. It does the same with Firefox. I opened the Hosts file and all the lines either start with # or 127.0.0.1. I tried clicking the link you gave me to Google and the same thing happened: File not found: I plan to toak to the Propel people tomorrow. If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

4. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

Was there only one entry in the hosts file? And is it only Google - have you tried Yahoo, Ask etc?

5. rcrobb

rcrobb Thread Starter

Google is the only entry in the Hosts file. I tried turning Propel off and when I did I could search so it definitely has something to do with Propel.

6. rcrobb

rcrobb Thread Starter

Hi, again,
    Well, the Propel people can't seem to figure out what the problem is either. I guess I'm stuck and the only way I can execute a search is to turn it off. I wish I could fix it, though. I can search if I go from Google which is my home page to Yahoo and execute the search. Isn't that strange? Any other ideas? Thanks for being so helpful; I appreciate your efforts.

7. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

I really can't think of anything else :confused: especially if the Propel tech support can't help you. I know it's not ideal, but you could try using a proxy to use google.

8. Pollex

Pollex

Turn off all of your add-on's for your browser and then try to run the search.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice