1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot extract media player file

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by patd, Jul 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patd

patd Thread Starter

Not a crisis but: With the help of TSG, some nasty trojans have been cleaned up but some side effects , Win Media Player corrupted . I did an uninstall from the 'add/remove' and tried to download vers 9 but get the 'Extracting file failed. Most likely caused by low disk space or corrupt cabinet file' . I noticed that in 'Program files' , there is a folder 'Windows Media Player' , I tried to delete but I cannot , 'in use'. I tried to download to 'My downloads' but got same error. I tried to download vers 7, same error. I did find something at Microsoft site that seems to relate :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;261299

but I don't see a solution. I've searched TSG but cannot find similar problem.
    Can I get back MediaPlayer ?
    ( running with ME 127MB 62% free). Thanks for any suggestions.

2. beefy

beefy

3. patd

patd Thread Starter

Yes I did, I looked for an FAQ on the subject but no luck. Would deleting the MediaPlayer folder in Program files help or hurt?

4. beefy

beefy

Deleting the folder probably would hurt.

Try renaming the folder temporarily (you may have to do this in Safe Mode as WMP may be in use otherwise) and reinstalling WMP. If it reinstalls okay, and if it seems to be okay after a few days, delete to Recycle bin and finally delete from there when really satisfied.

5. patd

patd Thread Starter

I tried to rename in safe but it still won't let me, 'denied' , is there some setting I can disable , or is this for my own good that I can't mess with this?

6. beefy

beefy

7. patd

patd Thread Starter

NO success , but thanks for the link, maybe I can find something there.
    Is there a reason why I cannot rename or delete the windows media player folder in program files even in safe mode? I did a google on this problem and found one instance of a similar problem, one of the responses was to delete that folder and re install the player. I don't know how important that folder is to the os and don't know if renaming or deleting will solve anything or just create more problems.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/247258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice