1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot fdisk windows 2000

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nettie, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nettie

nettie Thread Starter

:confused: Hello there,
    It's been awhile. I am trying to format a 40 gig hard drive that had windows 2000 on it. In fdisk, when I try to delete the extended drive, it tells me that there is a logical drive in an extended drive that I have to delete. when I try it tells me that no logical drive exists.
    I have gone around and around in fdisk and cannot delete the partitions or format them. There has to be a way around this.
    I would like to format and partition it and then load windows 98SE on it. (don't own Win XP)
    would anyone have a suggestion??
    thanks in advance for all the help past and present.
    Nettie
    :confused:

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy nettie...

Do you know the manufacture of the drive ?

IMHO when going from W2K to W98, it would be best to do a LLF ( Low Level Format ), of the drive. The W2k Partition is more than likely NTFS, the DOS Fdisk doesn't do a very good job of deleting the partitions, so there for you will have to do a LLF, to install W98, and in order to do it will need to know the drive manufacture, to point you to the utility...

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

4. nettie

nettie Thread Starter

hello there,
    The hard drive is a 40g maxtor. I heard that a low level format could damage the hard drive or older BIOS'. When they say older, what is meant in age and how would I know that my BIOS would be safe?
    If so, would be able to tell me the steps or a site to follow a low level procedure.
    Nettie

5. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/M...tware Downloads/ATA Hard Drives&downloadID=22

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW you cannot delete an extended partition / logical drive with fdisk. That is why dos / win9x tools should not be used with nt based os. You can use the hd mgf's utility that has been posted or you can boot with your win2k cd and enter the recovery console. From the rc you can delete any partition and format with fat32 if you want to install win9x.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice