1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot find CD/DVD drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by supermanno, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. supermanno

supermanno Thread Starter

OK I read almost every post on the subject but couldnt get anything to work. I have a Toshiba satellite Laptop which doesnt recognize my cd drive anymore. I have tried both the CDgone registry key and removing the filters with no success. Actually, when I removed the filters I was able to see the cd drive, but with a question mark next to it. Then when applied the cdgone key, disappeared again. The cd drive doesnt even show up in the device manager. Is there anything I can do? Thanks a lot!

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the drive has disappeared from Device Manager, you may have a hardware issue. Do you see the drive during the POST? How about booting from a bootable CD?

4. supermanno

supermanno Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Johnwill, what do u mean by" Do you see the drive during the POST?" Also, I had tried XP CD-DVD fix before and it didnt work. Whats a bootable cd? Any installation cd?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

POST - Power On Self Test

That's the test that happens during the BIOS initialization where hardware is detected, etc.

Not "any" installation CD, something like the XP Install CD, Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image CD's, etc.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!