Cannot find CD/DVD drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

supermanno

OK I read almost every post on the subject but couldnt get anything to work. I have a Toshiba satellite Laptop which doesnt recognize my cd drive anymore. I have tried both the CDgone registry key and removing the filters with no success. Actually, when I removed the filters I was able to see the cd drive, but with a question mark next to it. Then when applied the cdgone key, disappeared again. The cd drive doesnt even show up in the device manager. Is there anything I can do? Thanks a lot!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If the drive has disappeared from Device Manager, you may have a hardware issue. Do you see the drive during the POST? How about booting from a bootable CD?

supermanno

Thanks guys. Johnwill, what do u mean by" Do you see the drive during the POST?" Also, I had tried XP CD-DVD fix before and it didnt work. Whats a bootable cd? Any installation cd?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
POST - Power On Self Test

That's the test that happens during the BIOS initialization where hardware is detected, etc.

Not "any" installation CD, something like the XP Install CD, Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image CD's, etc.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online