1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot find ESS PCI Audio Adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hakavon, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hakavon

hakavon Thread Starter

Help.

My faithful old Armada 7800 (still running W98se) has hit a little snag.

I was clearing some hard drive space by moving some things to a thumb drive, and apparently moved something I shouldn't have.

Next time around the hard drive and OS wouldn't boot, and I now get the message that's the title of this post.

I've gone to the HP website and downloaded the audio driver(s) and also located the "ess" file on the Windows 98 CD-ROM, but with the OS not loading, I have no way of even trying to get the driver(s) back onto the hard drive.

If memory serves, the only drivers I had to add after installing W98se onto a "naked" hard drive on this machine were the video drivers, so likely the ess audio drivers on the Windows disc will be all it needs, but again I have no idea how to get them onto the hard drive since it won't boot.

I know just enough about this stuff to get myself into trouble, so if anyone can help me restore the driver(s) and get my hard drive to boot again on this old faithful machine, I'd appreciate it.

As an alternative, I'm tempted to just get another hard drive, reinstall Windows98se, and later try to rescue my files from the non-booting drive by way of an IDE/SATA to USB adapter. If I go this root, does anyone know how large a hard drive the Compaq Armada 7800 could handle? (Some people are selling 160gb drives on eBay, claiming it'll work on the 7800, but I suspect it's too large.)

Help...

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sound drivers are not needed to boot the machine. They are probably only part of the problems that are preventing booting. If you can remember what you moved and restore it, that may help. But you are probably looking at a complete reinstallation since there is no telling what may be missing. You are probably getting that message because the ESS driver is the first in the list of a larger number of drivers compressed together for loading at boot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice