1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot find files to attach to email or upload to my art site

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by breighdi, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. breighdi

breighdi Thread Starter

Hi there, I was hoping someone can help me. I have suddenly started having trouble finding files that I want to attach to an email, or upload to my art site. The files I am looking for in the attachment or upload browse lists are not there, but they are in the program folder where I saved them. I dont know what has changed, must be some setting. The files I am looking for are saved in my Paint Shop Pro 7 program in the "Images" folder as jpegs. I have Vista Ultimate, but I have done this many times before while using Vista Ultimate and not had any problems..so I am thinking it is something to do with some setting either in my PSP 7 program or some other setting and not a compatibility issue, although I thought I read they are not compatible, but I know I have been able to do this before. Also something might have been changed with the Windows photo gallery while I was trying to fix it...(aka, yes I was messing around with default stuff) Please help, its driving me crazy and Im wanting to upload my newest painting...finally finished it!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't understand. You seem to be saying that you know where the files are, but you cannot browse to them from whatever email client you are using. Is that correct? Please be more specific--what email client? Go step by step--you click on "attach" and then "file..." and then ..., etc.

3. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

I can't think of any setting that would prevent finding the file.
    I am assuming you use Windows Mail for an email client.
    If it is webmail not sure all these steps will work.

A) If you are trying to embed it, make sure the extension is there.
    Sometimes a program will save a file without the extension and WM
    can't find it. Normally jpeg is acceptable but jpg is more common.

If you are trying to attach the file,
    the extension isn't needed. So make sure the filename is spelled
    correctly and make sure the path is correct.

B) Move the file to the desktop and see if it will find it then. If all else
    fails open a new email on your desktop and highlight the message
    area. Then place your mouse on the image that is on your desktop
    and drag it to the message area. It should end up being attached.

4. breighdi

breighdi Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet,
    Thank you so much for trying to help me. Yes that is correct. I am having trouble browsing for the jpeg file to use as an attachment in my in my "hotmail" email. I also have the same problem when I try to browse for the file when I want to upload it to my art site or facebook etc. The files I am looking for are ones that I know I had saved in my PSP 7 program (a graphics program). I hope this makes a little more sense. I really do appreciate you trying to help. Thanks, breighdi

5. breighdi

breighdi Thread Starter

Hi VistaRookie, Thank you too so much for trying to help me with this. Sorry I failed to mention the email I am using. It is hotmail. I checked and the file extention and name are correct as well as the path, but still no show...sigh...however I did learn something new and that is the info you posted as your point "B" so thank you for that too.
    breighdi

6. breighdi

breighdi Thread Starter

Hello again TerryNet,
    I have found the file I was browsing for to attach to an email and upload to my art site...yippie! However, it is not where it is supposed to be. I should have to navigate from Computer/C:/Jasc Software/Psp 7/images/Along The Path (the name of my file) but instead I only have to navigate to Computer/C: and then scroll down to find my file named "Along The Path"...new question, if you can help...any idea how to make it so that when I browse for the file it follows the correct navigation as it used to?? Thanks again, breighdi

7. breighdi

breighdi Thread Starter

Hello again VistaRookie (I have given this same info to TerryNet who tried to help me too),
    I have found the file I was browsing for to attach to an email and upload to my art site...yippie! However, it is not where it is supposed to be. I should have to navigate from Computer/C:/Jasc Software/Psp 7/images/Along The Path (the name of my file) but instead I only have to navigate to Computer/C: and then scroll down to find my file named "Along The Path"...new question, if you can help...any idea how to make it so that when I browse for the file it follows the correct navigation as it used to?? Thanks again, breighdi

8. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

I don't use Paint Shop Pro, however, many programs have options to make
    a folder the default folder where files should go. Check to see if PSP has
    such an option and make sure the correct folder is still listed. Normally,
    when a file goes to the root directory (C:/), something isn't working properly.
    If you use the Save As... (instead of Save), then you have to navigate to the
    proper folder before saving an image.

Of course, this particular file can just be moved into the correct folder
    using Windows Explorer.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Hi, breighdi. Glad you found those files. You needn't post your info twice, as we can all see all the posts that have been made.

I agree with VistaRookie, that the default location for PSP's saved files must have changed for some reason. In looking for that setting (or any other setting) look for a Tools menu or sometimes the Edit menu. Under one of those look for 'Options' or 'Settings' or 'Customise.' I don't have that program either, but just as an example in my Microsoft Word (XP) I could go to Tools - Options... - File Locations tab - and one of the options there is the default folder for saving/finding documents.

10. breighdi

breighdi Thread Starter

Thank you TerryNet and VistaRookie...while I haven't completely solved this problem yet. I think you are both correct about it being something to do with the default settings. It could also very likely have something to do with my scanner settings too...I will keep playing around with it and see what I come up with. Thanks again for all your help,
    breighdi

11. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

You are welcome. (y)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/854446

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice