1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot find hub IP address, so no internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by parlayin, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parlayin

parlayin Thread Starter

For a while, my cable provider went bankrupt so I was getting no connection through my cable modem, so i used AOL free trial and dialed up. Now, my cable modem is back up and working (my roommate is connecting fine), but my ethernet card is not finding the right IP address. It is finding my computer's IP address, rather than our router/hub's IP address. I think that's the problem, but do not know how to fix it. So right now, I have no internet connection. I removed AOL by the way.

Also, under "network" in control panel, the only things listed are my linksys ethernet card, and tcp/ip. However, before, there was a specific tcp/ip for my ethernet card listed.

Any feedback is appreciated.

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

try adding a NIC (linksys) tcp/ip adapter
    click on your NIC in network properties
    add
    protocol
    microsoft
    tcp/ip
    etc

seems to be what you're missing
    then add your setup info where it belongs
    - check your roomie's or cable site (duh, how he says :) ) for the specifics

i'm kinda rushed, may be sloppily incorrect in a spot or two
    but looking at your roomie's set up would help

is it 2 PCs connected to router, router to cable modem?
    if so, the roomie's set up should work for you as well

3. esdxc37

esdxc37

in your tcp/ip settings
    highlight your card and remove it from the box
    do the same with client
    and apply
    do a restart as required and tcp/ip should reinstall all the necessarry protocols
    if it doesn't you will have to do it manually

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66088

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice