1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot find MS Scanner & Camera Wizard to download photos from camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Nflder, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nflder

Nflder Thread Starter

Got a new Canon camera which uses its own program to download pictures to the computer (Gateway MX6930) running XP (sp3) and have had no problems. Tried to download some pics from my older Sony camera which used to bring up the Camera Wizard allowing me to title each shot with a name and number but that no longer happens. I plug in the Sony (USB cable) and nothing. It shows up on Explore and right clicking does not get me to the Scanner and Wizzard start-up screen that would allow me to select the photos I want and to name them as they are put on the hard drive. When I search through Scanners & Cameras and click on "Add an imaging device" the "Scanner & Camera Installation Wizzard" starts but Sony is not listed so I cannot select it. I can click on "Have Disk" but the CD that came with the Sony does not have the file it needs. The only thing on the CD (besides photo programs) is a USB driver which I did download but didn't help...... HOWEVER I have had MS Word refuse to start a week or so ago and I tried reinstalling but didn't work, I found an MS site that showed me how to repair the Word registry and that worked OK. This makes me suspect - maybe something has happened to the registry. I can't go there so I decided to ask for your help.... Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Either camera should show up in "My Computer" when connected via USB ...
    Where you can explore the files and copy>paste (drag>drop) them to a folder in your computer.
    Can you get your pics this way ????

Attached Files:

• aa.jpg
      aa.jpg
      File size:
      63.4 KB
      Views:
  3. Nflder

Nflder Thread Starter

Thanks Jay; There is no problem with the Canon it starts up its own program to download from that camera. In fact Canon warns you not to use MS Explore. It's the older Sony that I have a problem with and yes it does show up in My Computer and I can use Explore to download the photos that way but I do not have the capability of naming groups with their own numbering which is what I have always done via the “Scanner and Camera wizard” which I prefer. There is another possible problem with videos – each video is stored in two files, “.thm” & “.mpg”. The Scanner & Camera wizard downloads the same video three times from the Sony so something is going on that will not happen using Explore.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1099923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice