1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot find my computer on the wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by I[Cant]Win, Sep 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. I[Cant]Win

I[Cant]Win Thread Starter

I recently had one of my networked computers reformatted because the OS crashed. I do not wish for a network advisor to come and try to fix it. This seems like a small problem to me and I do not wish to waste money on a problem I can get help with (without paying 85 per hour).

So everything back to normal. My wireless internet access and my programs to run business again. However, the network cannot find my computer nor can they send print jobs to the computer. I can see other computers connected on the network but the other computers dont see me. So my question is: How can I configure it to where it will recognize the computer on the wirless network?

Also, I've read that the printer can have its own IP address and can do print jobs without having the computer on. How can I do that as well. Any help would be appreciated. The sooner the better hehe. I haven't sent my credit card summaries for a week and a half now. :)

[EDIT] I have already set the printer to be shared on the network. The network found the printer but nothing prints. Hope this helps a bit more.

2. Lostnhell

Lostnhell

It looks like the problem is your computer is not actually part of the workgroup, or if you are running a server it is not yet part of Domain. you will want to run the network wirard to make it join the Domain.

to make the printer just work based off of IP you will first need a print server and a printer with built in wireless to configure on the network, some wireless printers have a built in printer server, so you will have to check yours.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "How can I configure it to where it will recognize the computer on the wirless network?"

Workgroup or domain? How are you trying to access it from the other computers? It takes awhile for all the computers on a network to get accurate lists of other network computers. Sometimes you can speed this up via Search for the computer. You could also try to access it via IP address.

4. I[Cant]Win

I[Cant]Win Thread Starter

I tried the wizard and it gave me and error. It says the computer cannot be found. I can access other computers on the network but they cannot accesss the main computer (Im not part of a domain either). The main computer is in the MSHOME workgroup. I guess ill figure it out sooner or later.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If this is an XP machine, are all their usernames and passwords on your machine.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For us to help, we need you to be more specific about "they cannot accesss the main computer." Access via View workgroup computers? Search? Ping by name? Ping by IP adddress?

Are the other computers also in workgroup "MSHOME"?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/401827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice