1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot find my gateway

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zestyboy59, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zestyboy59

zestyboy59 Thread Starter

I have put together a new system running xp and was able to go on line for a few days then I upgraded a few things and now, yes, nothing. Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\keith sleppy>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ymiller
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-DB-E9-3A-A2

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (ref.F)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-F0-16-47-43
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.210.86
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

That is all that comes up when I do ipconfig all. I also have a laptop that when I use the cable modem I can get right on. I have tried to install xp a few times with the bare essentials, nothing. I did notice however that my chipset for my ethernet on my mainboard (MSI-k9mm-v is by realtek (rtl8201cl) not via). Yes I know also that I am running a pci ethernet card as well, I will try anything once. Why can I not get online? Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The reason you can't find your gateway address is you're not connected to any network. Let's first try this:

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

3. zestyboy59

reset and re-stacked, still nothing

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you power cycle the modem when switching from the laptop to the problem PC?

What are the "upgraded a few things" that seemed to make the difference of successful connection to unsuccessful?

The last time you installed XP did you install the proper chipset drivers and then the PCI NIC's latest driver?

5. zestyboy59

I turned off the modem and then waited a few minutes before turning it back on ( power switch?) When I said upgrade I was talking about up dating drivers with the drivers given with the mainboard off of a CD, I did not notice that I lost my ability to go on line because I did not go on line for about a week ( yes I know sad but true ). I did try to use the system restore to go back to a time that my modem did work but to no avail, that is when I reinstalled windows xp. I did take off my pci card and only used the built in ethernet on one occasion of a new windows install ( not an upgraded windows version ).

6. zestyboy59

As to the chipset, when I install windows without using the drivers from the CD given, windows looks at my chipset as VIA chipset. I do find that odd.

7. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I wonder if there is a MAC address cloning issue going on here. Many cable companies will lock your connection to a specific MAC address it sees. So are you saying your desktop PC was the primary means of you connecting to the internet through the cable modem before this issue happened?

8. zestyboy59

9. zx10guy

As a test, wire a connection between your laptop and PC. You can set either to a static IP or leave the PC on DHCP and set the laptop to an IP within the range the PC has selected in the 169 address range. Do a ping test between the two to establish the PC is able to properly communicate out.

10. zestyboy59

All I can use is an Ethernet wire? How can I wire my two machines together?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think Realtek manufactures Via chipsets. You definitely want to use the chipset drivers that came with your motherboard (or updated ones from Realtek's web site), not whatever the XP CD has.

12. zx10guy

If your laptop is new enough or either NICs you are using in your desktop, you won't need to have a crossover cable just a straight through ethernet cable. The newer network devices/NICs have what is called MDI/MDI-X support which auto negotiates the connection with another network device and makes a determination if it needs to flip the send/receive pairs. I know all my laptops have this feature and they're just over a year old.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698709

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice