1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot find or load required file Krnl386.exe

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by FrozenRain00, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FrozenRain00

FrozenRain00 Thread Starter

:confused: OK, so I get this computer from my brother right- that was working earlier in the day, i hook it up and we try to get it going- but WALLA- my luck the computer is being a jerk... and not even going to the desktop. it doesn't load normally- it doesn't load in safe mode... and nothing on the microsoft website helps me to fix/get into my newly inherited computer. I really don't know what to do- i've tried reinstalling numerous times and it doesn't work.. THis is the error i keep getting:

"Cannot find or load required file Krnl386.exe, file not found.
    Press any key to continue..."
    then i hit a key- and it turns off.

It's driving me :eek: insane- and i know it's been driving my brother insane cause he has no idea why it just stopped working and he wouldn't let me go to sleep last night cause he was in my room working on it for hours. i don't know if he deleted a necessary file when he took his stuff off before he brought it to my place or what- but please... if anyone has ANY idea how to get my "new"old Compaq WIndows 98 2nd edition computer running, I'd greatly appreciate it. and if you don't like doing these forums back and forth to fix the problem, I'll gladly give out my aim s/n.

2. karthikvlk

karthikvlk

Hi!
    Restart the computer and keep tapping F8, and from the advanced startup menu select, safe mode, clcick start->run->command->scanreg /restore, and select any one of the 5 restore points appear there. It should work.. try that

3. FrozenRain00

Hey thanks for the advice. I actually had to go along and reformat it because it was so messed up. But since i did that now i have a new problem- My colors are off.. i dunno if my bro took the video/graphics card or it's just not installed correctly because now i only have 16 and 2 colors... i want 16 bit and 256 colors like on most reg. working pcs. i need to do work on there as well as load all my pix onto it.. so we'll see- got any ideas on how i can fix that? I have no access to the internet with that computer- currently. until i figure out how to get a wireless card installed into it- who knows if i even can. probably will have to usb drive it or something.

I tried installing files onto a cd rom and putting it into the computer to load but it just tell me that it's a read only or something ad closes out right away. It's really frustrating me. I'm thinking im gonna have to just throw it at my computer guy and have him do wat he wants with it- even though i'd much rather do it all myself

4. karthikvlk

karthikvlk

Hi Friend!
    Try to go online from any other computer, and download graphic driver www.compaq.com , for your model of compaq computer.

Cheers
    karthik

5. FrozenRain00

DO you have aim so maybe i could get some guidence through this thing? It's nice to see people online the same time i am. Gets things done faster.

Umm... im gonna try and get the graphics card installed onto a Cd through my laptop im currently using- how would you suggest i do it considering it didn't really work before. I have a feeling i just did it wrong or something.:eek:

6. FrozenRain00

Ok i found the computer support on there but... i have no idea what to install- there's A LOT of choices

The serial is 6113 HGZ C817 and it's a Compaq Deskpro ENSP866

Got any ideas on which i should grab- and how i should get it onto my pc

7. karthikvlk

karthikvlk

hi
    let me chck that out dude

8. FrozenRain00

just a little heads up- when i look in the device manager of this computer It has the quetion mark for PCI multipmedia Audio Device , PCI Communication Device, and ?PCI Ethernet Controller.... AS WELL AS ?Unknown Device

I wish i could get this thing to connect to the internet but i can't even figure how to set up a network connect with my ethernet cord.... it doesn't have a choice in there for me to do that

9. karthikvlk

karthikvlk

wellll....I think u need to download audio drivers, and most importantly ethernet card drivers since it shows question/yellow mark over pci communication device.. U need product manual to find wat are all the devices that came with cause different models were given in that page. Do u have the product manual with u?

10. FrozenRain00

Unfortunately that was not a luxury that my brother gave me... any other way to find this stuff out without the manual?

11. karthikvlk

karthikvlk

Hi!

I tried searching in the website for the manual. Unfortunately I am not able to spot it. What i can suggest at thsi point is to call the Compaq Tech support. They will have the manuals with them They might be able to tell which brand of the parts came with the computer

Cheers
    (y) Karthik+

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice