1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot find Server or DNS error in IE Randomly but can access page with AOL5

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Libra, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Libra

Libra Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'm running Windows 98se, IE6, HP Pavilion 8665C, EZTrust AV, Spyware Blaster, BOClean, SpyBot.
    Since about September there are a few select sites I cannot access with standalone IE (I get the above message). but I can access them in AOL browser if I try it immediately afterwards.
    I have no "hosts" file, nor ICS sharing. No firewall. So far I have emptied temp.int.files, cookies, history and used spider to empty my index.dat files. In October I removed and reinstalled both IE6 and AOL 5. A few days ago I removed the communications from windows set-up, deleted the winsock2 key in the registry, rebooted and re-checked communication in windows set-up (I have dial up networking and hyperterminal checked in there). I also removed and reinstalled the AOL Adapter. I was given the settings for AOL Adapter. Here they are: (in Network) AOL Adapter>properties>Bindings tab= TCP/IP AOL Adapter. TCP/IP>AOL Adapter>properties>IP Address tab= obtain an IP address automatically". DNS tab>disable DNS. WINS Configuration tab= Disable WINS configuration>>>>>WHEN I CHECKED THIS I COULDN'T ACCESS ANYTHING ON THE INTERNET (I got action canceled). So I put it back to "DHCP for WINS Resolution" and I could access the internet. Bindings tab>clear any checkmarks (none).
    I have tried pinging the problem sites and get 4 timed outs and 4 packets sent, 0 received, 4 lost. pinging the IP is the same. When I do a tracert I get 30 * * * *. And yet I can access these sites with AOL's IE!
    I got suspicious about my "timed out error" messages with my auto-downloads with EZTrust. Sometimes I can auto-download, but I'm getting a lot of timed outs lately...so I did a ping and tracert and got the 4 times outs and * * * * for the tracert.
    Thinking it might have to do with my security settings in IE, I put one site in my Trusted Sites. I still get The page cannot be displayed, cannot find server or dns error but it shows the page to be in my Trusted sites.
    If I go to www.anonymizer.com with the standalone IE, I can then access a problem page (but if I try to click a link or two, anonymizer says I have to purchase it!)

Does anyone have any idea of what the problem is? I think AOL has something to do with this. Can you spot anything in those AOL Adapter settings or anything else?
    I'd appreciate any help.
    Sincerely, Libra

2. Del

Del

If I understand you correctly; AOL works fine, but IE does not pull up any pages?

3. Libra

Libra Thread Starter

Hi Del,
    AOL is working fine with browsing. IE works fine most of the time too, but there are certain pages (a college site, HP forums, DSL Reports, Broadband and just today, the M$ web Newsgroups - I can get the Newsgroups page fine but when I try to access any thread I get The Page Cannot be Displayed in the top window. I prefer using IE, so this is frustrating.
    If you or anyone knows what the problem can be, I'd appreciate any help.

Oh- in order to bookmark the newsgroups page in AOL I navigated there with IE, then copied the page to the AOL browser. Simultaneously I had "the page cannot be displayed" in standalone IE (for the actual thread area) while I was viewing it in AOL. So there's no problem with the page.

Sincerely, Libra

4. yul

yul

have u tried installing IE 5.0 or 5.5?

5. Del

Del

What version of IE are you running?

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

When you get that error, does it ever help to click "refresh" once or twice? If so, the problem might be resolved by checking "automatically detect settings" in Internet Options > Connections > Settings. If you are using a LAN connection, there is a similar box under that tab.

7. Libra

Libra Thread Starter

Hi Rog,
    Refreshing the page doesn't help. But something strange happened two days ago. I found out about that "detect settings automatically" in the Connections (dial up) area and put a check mark in it. I was able to access all of the problem pages! Unfortunately, about 10 hours later I had the same problem back again (but I can still access one of the problem sites now). I also can't auto-download my AV dat files because I keep getting a timed out message. I pinged the address and, sure enough, I got 4 timed out responses and the tracert gave me 30 * * * *.
    Another thing is I can't access www.aol.com which is suppose to enable me to access my mail anywhere. I can get the site and log in, but I get a blank page. And now when I use view>source for that problem I get a blank Notepad page that says Login[1]Notepad!
    AOL told me the aol anywhere is a problem on their end - but I'm starting to think these things are all related.
    A friend suggested I go to winipcfg and click "renew all". I did that and got the following error "DHCP Server Unavailable: Renewing Adapter" with my cursor as an hourglass. I clicked ok and got that error message again. And, until I rebooted I got all page cannot be displayed in IE. (I think this may be because I have an AOL Adapter - but I have already removed that and it rebuilt itself without success).
    I feel I've done everything and can't fix this problem.
    Sincerely, Libra

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

From what you've already done I'm pretty sure you have seen both these MS articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;175722

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;238550

I'm really thinking like you, that it's on their end. This is usually the case when the problem seems intermittant at times and you can get there with a proxy like anonymizer.

I'm not really very AOL savvy, do they give you different dialup numbers, and if so, have you tried a few different ones? I've found it can make a difference with some of the ISPs I've had in the past.

If you can try some in a different area code that are still local, that might get you in through a different route.

9. Libra

Libra Thread Starter

Hi Rog,
    Yes, I did see both of those articles. I did just about everything there, except in the second article I didn't do this part:

"Remove all network components (for example, adapters, clients, and so on). To do this:
    Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network.
    Select a network component, and then click Remove."

I was confused about that (since I have a lot in there) and when I questioned it, I was told it was easier to just remove the dial up networking (windows set up>communications), and remove the winsock2 key from the registry and reinstall dial up networking.

Thank you for confirming that since I can access these sites with anonymizer it's probably an AOL problem.

I appreciate your suggestion of using a different dial-up number. I will definitely try that. Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

10. Del

Del

Can you list everything that is in the Network panel when you open it?

11. Libra

Libra Thread Starter

Hi Rog,
    Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. Using a different (local) area code to dial in sounded like a good idea. Get a load of this: I put in a total of 8 new numbers which had two different area codes and I couldn't access AOL. I got "the system failed to properly respond" or "your connection to AOLNet has been lost".
    I e-mailed AOL access numbers and they present a form - neither item was available to click on (I guess they don't acknowledge these problems). They gave me a phone number.
    I spoke with 3 different people - the first told me she'd put me thru to a senior tech and I was disconnected. Second call: told to reinstall IE and get some file fix from AOL - didn't have access to that; Third Call: the girl said she was going to make a report on it. She said to call back in 2 days if it's not fixed. She also said to use the area code closest to me. ( I don't know why I'm offered these other numbers if they won't work. ) It's not fixed but I didn't call back yet.
    I got sidetracked with my Network configuration and removed the bindings from my "real" dial up adapter. AOL's adapters only have the tcp/ip bound.
    I even went into an AOL chat and inquired about AOL 8...was told to stick with AOL 5 (8 is a resource hog). They suggested I put all my IE settings to default and see if that fixes it. That doesn't make sense to me though, because I put one site into Trusted, so if it was settings I think I should access with it in Trusted. At this point I just think it's an AOL proprietary problem.
    I'm thinking of upgrading to IE6 SP1 but I doubt that would correct the problem.

Del,
    Here's what's in my Network panel:

Client for MS Networks
    MS Family Logon
    AOL Adapter
    AOL Dial-up Adapter
    Dial Up Adapter
    Net Buel Dial Up Adapter
    TCP/IP>AOL Adapter
    TCP/IP>AOL Dial-up Adapter
    TCP/IP>Dial-up Adapter

These were listed, but I removed them, since I don't have a NIC card. Maybe HP just put the drivers in:

HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Net Buel HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter
    TCP/IP> HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter

Sincerely, Libra

12. Del

Del

Try right clicking on My Computer, click properties and then device manager, go to network adapters and tell us whats there?

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If it's any consolation I have a somewhat similar problem with Earthlink. I have two systems, one with XP the other Win98. There are probably a dozen numbers in the area code that are supposed to work in 98, but only one does. And one outside the area code. In XP, they all work.

14. Libra

Libra Thread Starter

Rog,
    It is a consolation. At least I'm not the only one and you're experiencing this with a different ISP.

Del,
    In Device Manager>Network the following is listed: AOL Adapter, AOL Dial-up Adapter and Dial Up Adapter. Under properties they all say they are working properly.

Sincerely, Libra

15. Libra

Libra Thread Starter

Rog,
    I have to ask you a question.
    First of all, someone suggested I go to winipcfg and click on "renew all" (they forgot to tell me to click release all first). I got two error messages while my cursor turned into an hour glass. "Error - DHCP Server Unavailable: Renewing Adapter" - got the same error message after clicking okay. My connection was lost, so I signed on again but IE wasn't working until I rebooted the pc.

After that, I was looking at a post of yours regarding the proper dial up settings in the Network configuration and checked mine against it. All along in the AOL Adapters I used to have "use DHCP for WINS resolution" (and one time I changed it to "disable DNS resolution" and I couldn't access the internet). Now I have "disable DNS resolution".

I decided to remove and reinstall the AOL adapter. Afterwards I checked it and it was back to "use DHCP". I even accessed those problem pages with standalone IE.

When I shut down pc and put it on the next day I couldn't access the pages. Sure enough, the "disable DNS" was back! I called AOL and they said it should have "use DHCP". I changed the settings via control panel>system and rebooted. A couple of reboots were required by AOL and those "disable DNS" settings were back. The tech said something in Windows is not retaining the settings.

I'm still able to browse, etc. but I would like to know if you think I messed something up when I used "renew all" in winipcfc. I can't understand why the settings won't stay.

I don't think that is a cure-all, because I couldn't get the pages with those settings before, and I'm giving up on that, but I'm wondering if I messed something up.

Thanks.

Sincerely, Libra

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice