1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot find server or DNS error

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by emvee, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. emvee

emvee Thread Starter

Hi guys! Im a tech support agent myself. I had this customer w a weird problem I couldnt solve.
    Basically I only wanted to access the router settings page with IE6 to configure the wireless network. It came up with this error: "Cannot find server or DNS error".
    The router is sending the correct information to the PC (IP address, default gateway).

So here is what I did so far:
    -Removed dial up networks, ticked automatically detect settings
    -Deleted cookies, temp files
    -restored defaults in advanced settings
    -disabled firewall
    -reinstalled IE6
    -disabled / enabled network adapter (ethernet)

Getting the same message over and over again.

I think this shouldnt matter but still its an info: the customer is actually not live yet w the broadband service.

OS is XP..not sure but probably SP2.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. mozzacajun

mozzacajun

have you tried a wired connection?

3. emvee

emvee Thread Starter

The whole troubleshooting was done wired. I only said I wanted to configure his wireless network, but I had to access the router via ethernet cable.

4. mozzacajun

mozzacajun

from a command prompt, type

ipconfig /all

and post here

the default gateway will usually be the ip that will connect you to the router settings page

5. emvee

emvee Thread Starter

Ah, sorry i left out a few things. The customer was getting the correct IP and gateway addresses from the router. But when I tried to access it via IE, it just gave me the error message.

6. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

What happens when you ping the default gateway at a command prompt? If you get replies back, are you saying you're getting "Cannot find server" messages when you point the browser at the IP address of the router (which should be the default gateway IP address)?

Have you tried resetting the wireless router? If not, I would reset the router and see if that makes the web-based configuration interface available.

Peace...

7. IT_Wreck

IT_Wreck

What is the model of the router? 'ipconfig /all' copy?

Did you use the IP address or the default gateway to access the router?

Most default at 192.168.0.1 if you havn't tried it already. It is easy to change once in the router though, so perhaps someone already changed it?

Try resetting your router?

8. emvee

emvee Thread Starter

Pinging the router (netgear dg834g) got me the 4 replies without any problems. We tried resetting aswell. Apart from the IE6 returning the message everything seems to be fine.

Cant copy the ipconfig since its not my comp ( i was troubleshooting through phone ) but we got : IP address 192.168.0.2
    subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
    default gateway 192.168.0.1

Ah, and used the default gateway of course.

9. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Ok, since you're troubleshooting over the phone, that will add a level of complexity: the person on the other of the phone. :)

So, you are SURE they pinged 192.168.0.1?

How did they reset the wireless router? What exact steps did they take to reset the router?

Peace...

10. victor1655

victor1655

it happened to me that one customer had static information on the local area connection either ip or dns
    so it would give a dns error disabling and enabling the adapter wont take away the static info did you check that part?

11. emvee

emvee Thread Starter

If I can get back to him I'll check if he's obtaining IP/ DNS address automatically. Not sure if I have done that.

Resetting was done with the 'push-in-something-for-10-secs-to the pin-hole'.

And yea, Im pretty sure I was pinging that address. I'm doing that so many times a day I couldnt even say else than 192.168.0.1 :)

I' ll let you you know if I could contact him.

And thanks for all the effort so far. :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice