1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Cannot Find the Device Specified"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ImWolf, Apr 5, 2019.

1. ImWolf

ImWolf Thread Starter

MSI K9NBPM2-FID MB
    2 WD 500G SATA Hard Drives
    1 SG 40G IDE Hard Drive
    1 Teac IDE CDR Drive
    WinXP Home SP3

About 18 months ago I re-Installed XP Home with a "slipstream" CD created (and used before) with Nlite. I had also hit F6 during install and provided the additional SATA/RAID drivers just for good measure. I also later installed the NV61XX chipset software from inside XP.

Since then, I've been seeing 2 new alerts during boot and when XP starts. First, the bios flash screen suddenly started displaying "Not enough space in runtime area. Symbios my not be available." (or something very close to that).

Then when WinXP starts, I get 5 pop up alerts. First is a small balloon that says "Found New Hardware" described either as IDE Controller, or Nvidia Nforce 430/410 Serial ATA Controller. Immediately after this a larger box pops up saying "Cannot install this hardware", "cannot find the device specified", "Nvidia Nforce 430/410 Serial ATA Controller".

I get these errors twice, once for each of the SATA drives? So at every re-start I deal with the "new hardware found" and "cannot install" balloons and dialog boxes. Then finally comes a pop up saying "Error installing new hardware, some of your devices may not work properly".

WinXP is installed on one of these SATA drives. Device Mgr. shows no yellow exclamations, nor does it list any Serial ATA controllers. Device manager does list 3 Primary and 3 Secondary IDE controllers, and a Standard duel channel PCI IDE controller, all with Microsoft drivers. Also, under SCSI and RAID controllers I have 2 IDE Controllers listed, both with "Unknown drivers".

I recall this exact scenario the first time I added the 2 SATA drives to the system about 2 years prior, but I don't recall how I resolved it. I have downloaded and attempted to update the SCSI/RAID IDE drivers with the newest versions out there from both the MSI and nVidia web sites, but during the update the same error box pops up mid-way thru saying "Cannot find the device specified".

What am I doing wrong?

Wolf

2. ImWolf

ImWolf Thread Starter

I am happy to report the pop-up boxes are gone, and everything appears to be very normal.... and very fast!

Spent much time playing with DevCon.exe, a command line utility for dealing with device drivers. It taught me a lot, but I couldn't get the "update" or "install" commands to work. The syntax is quite cryptic and in some cases you even need to edit the INF file you want to use.

While trying to find help on this, I came across DPINST32.EXE (also available in the 64 flavor). This is a stand-alone driver package installer. I simply copied the file to where my updated drivers were stored (which I could never install b4), double clicked it, and in no time my drivers definitely changed! You can also use this utility from the command line with option switches.

At first it left behind a yellow ? device under SCSI and RAID, but since I don't have these things in use I just uninstalled it to get rid of that "found new hardware" box.

Device Manager now shows 2 Nvidia Serial ATA controllers under the ATA/ATAPI section, along with 1 Primary and 1 Secondary IDE Channel, and a single "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller". The SCSI/RAID parent is gone.

I don't have any speed test stuff, but from a cold machine I'm now seeing the Windows start page in less than 15 seconds..... add 10 to that if I just let Grub run it's course. That's perty fast for this old bucket!

Happy, happy...... Joy, joy

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225453

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice