cannot format c drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tzar

I am trying to format my Win XP Pro PC.
I have a single hard drive, separated into 2 partitions;
C and D drives.
When I boot up in with a Win98 bootup disk,
At the A:\ when I type dir/w, it shows me the contents of
my floppy drive.
At the C:\ prompt, it shows me the contents of my D drive.
At the D:\ prompt, it shows me the contents of the RAM-
drive.
At the E:\ prompt, it shows me the contents of the CD
drive.

Question is, where is my C drive?
Cos when I do a "format c:", it only formats my D drive
and not my C drive!

Help anybody? Please...?

Windows xp doesnt require a bootdisk to install windows xp. Unless your system wont allow you to boot from your cdrom drive. If that's your case you would need a windows xp bootdisk.

You will need to get into your bios in order to change the boot order to cdrom first. I dont know what system you have but your options to enter the bios are the delete key, f1,f2, or f10 for compaq. One of these will work for you. Unless when you first boot up it will tell you sometimes what key to hit to enter setup.

If you need any assistance getting into your bios to make these changes post back in this thread and give us some system specs...

opps....almost forgot...If you cant boot from your cd drive. You can goto www.bootdisk.com to get the correct bootdisk.

I hope this helps....
TC
rockin'male:cool:

I'm not really sure if this is even possible, but has your C: partition be CONVERTED to NTFS?? Like I said don't know if you can do this to a single partition on a multi drive, but you know that Win98 can't handle NTFS...so I'm taking a shot in the dark.

Are you trying to copy files from this partition or are you simply trying to format it? What type of file format does this partition have? DOS cannot read NTFS formatted partitions.

Rollin

The reason you can't see the C: drive from DOS is most likely because it is NTFS. You can FDISK and set up a primary DOS partition, and then format...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!