1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot format c drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tzar, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tzar

tzar Thread Starter

I am trying to format my Win XP Pro PC.
    I have a single hard drive, separated into 2 partitions;
    C and D drives.
    When I boot up in with a Win98 bootup disk,
    At the A:\ when I type dir/w, it shows me the contents of
    my floppy drive.
    At the C:\ prompt, it shows me the contents of my D drive.
    At the D:\ prompt, it shows me the contents of the RAM-
    drive.
    At the E:\ prompt, it shows me the contents of the CD
    drive.

Question is, where is my C drive?
    Cos when I do a "format c:", it only formats my D drive
    and not my C drive!

Help anybody? Please...?

2. rockinmale

rockinmale

Windows xp doesnt require a bootdisk to install windows xp. Unless your system wont allow you to boot from your cdrom drive. If that's your case you would need a windows xp bootdisk.

You will need to get into your bios in order to change the boot order to cdrom first. I dont know what system you have but your options to enter the bios are the delete key, f1,f2, or f10 for compaq. One of these will work for you. Unless when you first boot up it will tell you sometimes what key to hit to enter setup.

If you need any assistance getting into your bios to make these changes post back in this thread and give us some system specs...

opps....almost forgot...If you cant boot from your cd drive. You can goto www.bootdisk.com to get the correct bootdisk.

I hope this helps....
    TC
    rockin'male:cool:

3. winbob

winbob

I'm not really sure if this is even possible, but has your C: partition be CONVERTED to NTFS?? Like I said don't know if you can do this to a single partition on a multi drive, but you know that Win98 can't handle NTFS...so I'm taking a shot in the dark.

4. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Are you trying to copy files from this partition or are you simply trying to format it? What type of file format does this partition have? DOS cannot read NTFS formatted partitions.

Rollin

5. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Boot to the XP cd and let it do the formatting.

6. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

The reason you can't see the C: drive from DOS is most likely because it is NTFS. You can FDISK and set up a primary DOS partition, and then format...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272280

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice