1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot format hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nizan, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nizan

nizan Thread Starter

I have 3 computers, all of them with the same problem.

I've made a startup ms-dos disk, I inserted the disk and restarted my computer.

Whenever I type format c: and press enter I get the following error: bad command or file name
    Whenever I type cd c: end press enter I get the following error: invalid driver specification

Anybody know what could be the problem?

I used partition magic to format my hard because i did not have any other options. But the formating takes less then 1 minute. My hard drive has 50GB and I really doubt that it only takes 1 minute to format it.

Thanks

2. tony007

tony007 Banned

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

That is probably the problem is using partition magic.

What are the hard drives formatted in right now NTFS?

If so then the ms-dos floppies will not even see them since ms-dos can not read NTFS.

I would suggest to use fdisk to remove the partitions and format FAT-32 that should work or use the Windows install CD and remove the partions and fdisk and format.

How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP During an Install.
    http://www.directron.com/formatdrive.html#3

4. nizan

nizan Thread Starter

My partition was NTFS but I used partition magic and changed it to FAT32. I also copied format.com on the disk, and here's the error I get when I type format c: or format c: /s
    "this program cannot be run in DOS MODE"

Thanks for the help.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Stop using the ms-dos disk and use the windows install disk and the article I gave you.

Are you booting up with the ms-dos disk?

And if you are what version of ms-dos was it made from?

6. nizan

nizan Thread Starter

ozrom1e if I use the windows install disk I have no other option but to install or repair windows. I don't what this, I just want to format a partition. I have windows installed on a different partition.

What if I format the partition from the Computer Management - Disk Management? Will that properly format my partition?

Thanks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!