1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot format or install windows

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kangdiggity, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kangdiggity

kangdiggity Thread Starter

i formated and reinstall windows 98se and then upgraded to win xp pro. After that, the system froze while windows was loading. i formated it again but dos kept telling me that my hard disk doesn't support format. i tried to install windows 98se again without formating but once again the installation had stopped during before it started. Also my hard disk was splitted into 2(c: and d:) automatically for some reasons. now i can't format, i can't install windows.
    in addition, after this problem is solved, how can i set up the network configuration in order to surf at the maximum speed? I currently have a ETHERNET servive of 1.5M and of course i do have a LAN card.
    Please help me!!! I need my PC for school work.

Thank you very very very very much!!!
    Gracious!!!

2. Miz

Miz

You probably used the NTFS option when you installed XP the first time. In order to reformat the disk and reinstall whichever version of Windows you want to install, you must use the XP CD.

Boot with the XP CD in the CD drive, read each screen carefully and make the appropriate choices. If you intend to reinstall Windows 98, be sure to format the disk using FAT32 and not NTFS, as Win98 won't run on NTFS.

If your computer doesn't boot from the CD, you'll need to go into the BIOS and set the CD drive to be first in the boot order.

3. kangdiggity

kangdiggity Thread Starter

no no no no no...
    your information is extremely helpful and thank you very much for I am certainly a dummy in computer. Actually, ammm...... how am i supposed to change it back to FAT32???
    or can i install windows xp.
    My system: AMD 550mhz/ 10gb hard disk
    Is it too slow or too small for windows XP PRO.
    One again, Thanks a lot for your help.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Boot from a floppy disk and run FDISK. Delete the partitions and start from scratch.

Your machine should be able to handle one large partition so I would just repartition it as one 10gig drive unless you want two partitions on there.

XP Pro should run on that system. I had it running on a Pentium II 400mhz with 128mb of ram. But I recommend 256mb.

5. twisted_mind

twisted_mind

u havent mentioned the amount of RAM u have. I'd go with what LWDSquashman ( what?????? :) ) said. 512 MB of RAM should be best, if not 256 would suffice.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice