1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot get AOL software to work

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Beany, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beany

Beany Thread Starter

My daughter installed AO 9.0 Security Edition on her laptop which is running Windows XP. She is using dial up. It worked fine for about a month then one day she couldn't connect. She uninstalled and reinstalled the AOL software and still nothing. The modem seems to be working properly. The phone line works. After reinstalling several times we went to AOL help (on line and talking to someone on the phone) and did several things they recommended with no luck. They say there are probably corrupt files because there is no AOL System Information folder. This is the folder that has the info to reset the sign on locations and redetect them. But there is no folder and there hasn't been in any of the last five reinstalls. When she installs AOL is always hangs up at the point of picking dialing locations and says it can't connect. We have run scandisk, checked that the modem is working. It seems like we can't get rid of the corrup files from the computer or it's not uninstalling completely. Spent five hours working on this today with no luck. Can anyone help? Would it be better to install AOL over the existing one instead of uninstalling first? Just trying to think of anything that might help at this point. Under the Phone and Modem Options in Control Panel there is a location with an area code that is not hers. It belonged to the person who had the laptop before her in another state, but it won't let her delete this location. I would appreciate any help

2. GentsBabe

GentsBabe

I don't know if this would pertain to that folder, but worth a shot... in Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > and click on the View tab. See if there's no checkmark in 'Don't show hidden files and folders'.

Seems weird to me that re-installing the program would result in corrupt files. When it was un-installed, check to make sure that ALL files and folders are removed. Re-install and see if it now works. If not.... has she tried creating a AOL System Information folder herself to see if it would 'fool' the program into thinking it's the real one? I've no idea if that would work, but it's something sneaky I'd try, LOL.

I'm guessing that the incorrect area code does have something to do with this. Did she get any type of error message? If so, could you please post it here and then maybe we can get a better idea of what's going on.

I have a website that I found a while ago about AOL, I don't know if it'll help or not, but it won't hurt to look around: Aol Tips and Tricks

3. Beany

Beany Thread Starter

Thanks..it's all very weird.. there is an error message. I will find out what it is again

4. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Hi and welcome :)

That's odd, as I was under the impression System Information wasn't a folder - but a choice that is usually listed with America Online if you go to your Start button>select All Programs or Programs>America Online.

I suppose it could be different, depending on the version. I have 5.0 (very old), but the same info comes up in AOL Help for 8.0 and 9.0.

For example, here is mine:

Attached Files:

• aol.jpg
      aol.jpg
      File size:
      12.6 KB
      Views:
  5. Beany

Beany Thread Starter

I guess you are correct about it not being a folder, however there is still no option to choose it. I'm thinking because we've not been able to set up AOL completely. Thinking back, this all started happening when she installed some AOL Spyware protection program. She tried to remove the program and she was not able to. As soon as she installed it she started having a lot of problems

6. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

I agree, it looks like the software is not installing completely.

Maybe the copy is bad. You can get AOL CD's practically anywhere.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/441910

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice