1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot get into a particular website

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by boopsct, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boopsct

boopsct Thread Starter

Hi! First of all Im a beginner at this computer stuff so please bear with me. There is one particular website that I like to use all the time that I cannot get into. I keep getting the page that says internet explorer cannot display the webpage. The website in question is upatsix.com and the specific URL Im trying to get into is chats.upatsix.com. This is the classifieds section. This all started almost a month ago when my service provider{Adelphia} was converted over to comcast. I have emailed both Comcast and the webmaster and upatsix and both claim there are no problems on their end. Comcast suggested I clear all my temporary internet files etc and try again...it did not work. Im using internet explorer 7. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. TOGG

TOGG

Has that site ever worked correctly since you got IE7? There are some troubleshooting tips here;http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html

If none of the things mentioned on that site seem to apply to your situation post back here. When only one site fails to work there is a possibility the something called a 'Hosts' file is involved.

If you have Spybot S&D, or certain other programs, you will have a Hosts file and you can check by doing a search on your computer using 'Find Files or Folders' (I don't know where that is in XP but someone else will be able to help you find it, if necessary).

3. boopsct

boopsct Thread Starter

Thanks. It has been working fine with IE 7 until about two weeks ago. I tried a lot of those suggestions in that link you included. I deleted temporary files, cookies, history etc. I downloaded that program that simulates IE 6 and that didnt work either. I read something about the host problem also. I did get to file and folders and typed in host and got about 79 files that displayed but dont know what to do or try from there. Thanks in advance for any help.

Lynne

4. TOGG

TOGG

I'm still using '98 so things will be different. In my case I get 11 results and it's the biggest one (68KB for me). Doubleclick on it and, if you are asked which program you want to open it with, choose Word or Wordpad because it's only a text file and you can't do much harm.

The file should consist of a long list of sites, (not in any particular order in my version) and you will have to scroll down to see if upatsix.com is there. If it is, delete it by right clicking and selecting 'Delete', close the Hosts file, reboot and try the site again.

If you don't find it by name it may be listed by reference to it's IP Address (a computer readable version of the URL). That sites' IP Address is 216.243.112.137 If you don't find it in either format your problem must be somewhere else.

5. izzitizack

izzitizack

doesnt work for me either

6. TOGG

TOGG

That site works fine with Opera and Firefox and I know it's active because I got the IP Address by querying the server.

Perhaps it is an IE problem after all?

7. boopsct

boopsct Thread Starter

I checked all the host areas and didnt see anything. Maybe it is IE...so frustrating, but thanks so much for helping!!

8. TOGG

TOGG

Well, it shouldn't really work because 'good' sites shouldn't find their way into hosts files but, occasionally, they do. There is one other abdolutely desperate thing you could do, which is to type the IP Address into your browser(exactly as I gave it to you) instead of the URL.

This is probably a several millions to one chance but I think it did work once for somebody that was having the same problem as you! If, as I expect, that doesn't work, you will have to wait and see if someone else has any better ideas.

Have you thought of following the advice about uninstalling IE7 so that it reverts to 6 to see if that works?. The site won't work with my version of IE6 SP1, but I assume that's because I have so many features disabled. It does work with the AOL browser which, as far as I am aware, is just IE with an AOL 'skin'.

PS. You could, of course, try Opera or Firefox and only use IE to get Windows Updates.

9. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:) Try this.

Do a google search for "upatsix" (without the quotes). Click on the link. Click your way through until you get to the section(s) you want then add them to your favotites. Allow them to replace any existing favorite if you are prompted.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

It appears that the site switched over to a new server and old accounts cannot be transferred over so you will have to re-register. I suspect that the new server is causing most of the access problems.

10. boopsct

boopsct Thread Starter

Thanks. I will keep trying. I did try to go through Google and different links but still couldnt get in. The site went through a server change back in Sept of 06..I re registered then and have had no problems until a couple weeks ago. Im sure its just a coincidence but it started happening the same time Adelphia was switched to comcast. comcast claims there are no problems so who knows. I will try typing in the IP address and see what happens.

11. boopsct

boopsct Thread Starter

I tried typing in the IP address but it didnt work. I did a registry clean/scan/repair and that didnt fix the problem. I tried IE 6 -didnt work. Tried firefox and it didnt work. The error screen that came up with firefox said that the page was rejected by the server as it was loading?? My server or the sites server? Not sure about that one.

12. TOGG

TOGG

I just ran another server query and this is what I got;

"Initiating server query ...
    Looking up IP address for domain: www.upatsix.com
    The IP address for the domain is: 216.243.112.137
    Connecting to the server on standard HTTP port: 80
    [Connected] Requesting the server's default page.
    The server returned the following response headers:
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 13:06:21 GMT
    Server: Apache/1.3.19 (Unix) FrontPage/4.0.4.3 PHP/4.0.4pl1 mod_layout/1.1
    Author: Up At Six/Pet Bird - upatsix.com
    Copyright: 1995-2000
    Description: The Up At Six network receives between 3 and 4 million hits per month and focuses on aviculture (bird/parrot) information. We have been on the internet since 1993 with our primary domain, upatsix.com, becoming live in 1995 making us one of the oldest avian sites on the internet.
    Expires: 3 days
    Generator: Linux, Sun and the vi editor
    Htdig-Email: [email protected]
    Htdig-Keywords: birds, parrots, macaw, cockatiel, cockatoo, aviculture, avian, chat
    Keywords: birds, parrots, macaw, cockatiel, cockatoo, aviculture, avian, chat, pet bird, Up At Six
    Language: English
    Revisit: 7 days
    Robots: All
    Subject: Pet Bird Avian Information Communities by Up At Six
    Title: Up At Six - Your source for information on of parrots, macaws, cockatiels, cockatoos, and other species.
    X-Powered-By: PHP/4.0.4pl1
    Connection: close
    Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    Content-Type: text/html
    Query complete." (This is the most verbose server I have seen so far!. Most queries just provide technical stuff, not search keywords)

Have you thought of emailing them at '[email protected]' and describing your problem and mentioning your ISP? I have read somewhere that sites can be configured to block the domains or ranges of IP addresses of inbound traffic because of spam or other problems and I suppose it is possible that your computers' IP address falls into a blocked group.

If the webmaster confirms that they do employ such methods you could look into changing your IP address. If you were on dialup it should happen each time you go online but with broadband you would have to ask your ISP how to change it. I must emphasise that I have only read about this stuff and may have completely misunderstood it, so be ready to be laughed at if you do approach the webmaster!!

PS. The site still works for me with Firefox.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice