Cannot get LAN setup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jerrygr

I am trying to get a WIN 98 (Gateway)machine to connect to a DSL modem thru a four port hub. I had two DELLs ( with WIN 2000) connected together on the LAN and they worked fine. One of the DELL's power supply died and I connected the older Gateway. I cannot get the Gateway to connect to my DSL modem, I am using IE 6. I think I do not have the Gateway configured correctly. I have used the Wizard, no good. I have tried using the IP address, DNS settings and Gateway settings from the DELL. I have tried using no IP address, getting one automaticly. I cannot get online from the Gateway or find the DELL from the Gateway or find the Gateway from the DELL. The port lights show I all three online. I have tried another network card and changed slots on the Gateway. I had the Gateway networked with another DELL at one time, worked fine. I have cable checking instruments and the cables are good.

Del

If you are using a hub and getting 2 machines online, you were probably getting 2 ip addresses from your ISP.
Go to the tcp/ip for the win 98 machine and double click, should have obtain ip address automatically checked.
Do they use a pppoe client?

Del

Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel.
Double click on Network.
List the Adapters and the tcp/ip's you have.

Jerrygr

This is what is installed:
Client For Microsoft Networks
PCI Ethernet DEC 21041 Based Adapter
TCP/IP
File and Printer Sharing

TCP Properties Settings:
Advanced -- (none)
DNS -- enabled
IP -- obtain auto
DHCP-- ENABLED
WINS -- disabled
gateway -- added
NetBIOS -- disabled

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, for starters, you should enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP if you want to browse the network in Network Neighborhood. Here's what I have in my TCP/IP configuration, this setup has worked with both direct connection to my cable modem, and with the router.

In General:

- Obtain an IP address automatically
- Obrain DNS server address automatically

In advanced properties:

Make sure you have IP Security and TCP/IP Filtering disabled.

In Wins, enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP.

IN DNS, I have:
- Append Primary and connection specific DNS suffixes.
- Appent parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix.
- Register this connections DNS suffix in DNS registration.

In IP Settings I show DHCP enabled.

Del

I have DSL and a router, on the tcp/ip for the NIC I have:
TCP Properties Settings:
Advanced -- (none)
DNS -- disabled
IP -- obtain auto
DHCP-- ENABLED
WINS -- disabled
gateway -- blank
NetBIOS -- disabled

You might want to try these settings.:cool:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online