1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot get laptop running

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by marymercer05, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marymercer05

marymercer05 Thread Starter

I have windows xp on laptop. A blue screen says it has detected a problem and shut windows down to prevent damage to computer. It says disable or uninstall any anti virus disk defrag. or back up utlilities. Check hard drive config and for updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart computer.
    Tech info
    STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xF79A26D4, 0xF79A23DO, 0xF72DED4F)
    Ntfs.sys - Address F72DED4F base at F7291000, Datestamp 45cc56a7
    Anyone any ideas!

2. Dan O

Dan O

Have you tried Last Known Good and Safe Mode?

Reboot or power on PC and after the hardware is listed depress F8 to access the Boot menu to select these options.

3. marymercer05

Thanks Dan but doneall of those no good.
    I'll probably have to reinstall xp can't think what else to do

4. Dan O

Dan O

The system partition is likely corrupted causing the "stop 0x24" error.

To fix it see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/228888

And the section: Using Recovery Console on a Single Drive Computer

This article is for Windows 2000 but it should work for XP as well.

Good luck.

5. marymercer05

I don't really understand what to do! I have tried to run the recovery program and also when i enter the bios setup on F2 i can get insyde software SCU up which configures the basic system settings. Do you think i should try and use norton disc to disable security center to see if it has an effect? Or should i just reinstall xp

6. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

What was the result of the chkdsk? Did it find any errors? Did it fix the errors?

This is the filesystem driver and if it's corrupt, nothing will load from hard disk. You could attempt to boot to recovery mode and restore that file. But without knowing the state of the hard disk it's likely more file corruption is there. I would recommend a repair/install. I have several posts on this forum describing this detail (later I'll PAD it). You will only lose PATCHES to the OS with the process, everything else will remain.

But don't bother if you have errors on the disk you cannot fix. The problem will simply reoccur, probably somewhere else.

7. Dan O

Dan O

Disabling the Norton security center will not help.

A repair of the system partition is most likely required.

You may need to get help from a friend or take the PC to a shop for repair.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice