1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot get microphone to work

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by IronMike778, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IronMike778

IronMike778 Thread Starter

I swear I've tried everything but cannot get the Windows Recorder to record anything through a new microphone. I've checked recording volume, made sure "microphone" was "checked", etc. Could really use some help on this one.

This has been the case on 2 different computers I have.....cannot figure this one out.

Mike

2. franca

franca

Open volume controls, see if microphone balance mute is checked

3. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Since it is not working on 2 machines, did you check whether the microphone itself is working or not?

Just a suggestion, though it sounds too naive :rolleyes: .

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    IM:

I agree. If that microphone is not working on 2 separate computers, I'd try another one.

Check the settings in Volume Control in the taskbar and in Multimedia in the control panel and make sure that all settings are in order.

Make sure the microphone is plugged into the proper port.

Are you receiving sound from your computer under normal use to confirm that the sound card is working?

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips:)

5. IronMike778

Thaks all.........I'm using a brand new Shure SM57 mic, so I'm assuming thats nothte problem. I'm stumped. I feel like I've checked all controls, etc.

6. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Have you tried some other microphone on your machine? Are other sounds playing properly on your machine? Just trying to reduce the number of possible causes.

Are you inserting the pin in the right slot? I think there are at least three pins slots and only one of them will work for a microphone. This one setting is so simple that I have got it everytime I have inserted the pin in the right slot.

Open volume control and see if you haven't muted the microphone.

7. IronMike778

Still no luck with this...UGHH!!! I brought the microphone back to where I bought and it worked fine through their PA. I believe I have checked all areas of Sound Recorder/Volume control that should make this thing work. I just don't get it.....it seems like such a simple thing, yet I'm having no success. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

8. IronMike778

Ok...moderate progress. I plugged another input device into the mic jack and the recorder worked fine. So......the Shure SM57 mic works fine through a PA but not through the mic jack. Any ideas as to why? A mic is a mic is a mic, right?

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I don't think so......it appears that is for sound equipment.

10. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

IronMike778 said ...

What is a PA?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice