1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Cannot get "New Tab" to open anything bu a blank page

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Alex Ethridge, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Using Firefox 61.0.1 and Windows 10.

I used to get www.google.com when I opened a new tab. Now, all I get is a blank page. How do I get it to open www.google.com when I click to get a new tab?

Also, I would like to disable searching from the address bar.

These are my current settings; but, I have also tried every combination of settings I can think of.
    Screen7.jpg Screen8.jpg

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that you cannot (unless there is something in about:config). Under "Firefox Home Content" select "Web Search." That won't give you what you asked for, but it will give you a search bar for your default search engine. In effect, www.google.com.

Good luck with that! I've given up. Haven't looked for anything in about:config.

3. Alex Ethridge

Rant concerning searching from the address bar:

After years of troubleshooting others' computers, removing viruses, adware and other malicious software, I have determined that one of the most common ways people get seriously bad crap on their computers is by not using the address bar as it was originally intended, meaning instead of typing the address into the address bar or using known-safe direct links or desktop icons, they Google it and indiscriminately click a link it brings up, many times which are 'landmines'.

So in my opinion, searching from the address bar by default is a stupid idea -- and even more stupid is that it cannot be disabled.

It is easier to change the way Firefox works than it is to re-educate millions of computer dummies.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I have never have used a browser that the address bar was not in plain sight.
    I have never used FF, so if it is not at the top and in plain sight, then FF needs to change this.
    I have been a IE user since day 1 and now using Edge. I have not had to use any browsers add-in's other than the IE spell checker, for the early version of IE.

The address bar is used for two things, telling the browser where to go and it in turns tells me where it is at. It has always been this way and should stay that way. It should be nearly the full width of the browser pane, so one can see the complete URL

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Unfortunately Mozilla changed to put the tabs on top of the address bar and after many people discovered how to put the address bar back on top another change has made it pretty much impossible to get the address bar back on top.

However, this thread is (partially) about how to prevent the address bar from acting as a request for search instead of simply giving an error message if the text is not a legit URL that finds a web site. Do you have any ideas how to do that in Firefox? How do you do it in IE?

6. Alex Ethridge

I think you misunderstood my rant.

The address bar is still at the top of Firefox. What I object to is that it also doubles as a search field. The address bar's doubling as a search field is what makes it dangerous. It would be safer if when one types in an incorrect URL, that it returns a 404 and stop there, not start searching.

The address and search fields should not be integrated. That feature is dangerous and acts as an aid to miscreants.

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    You can add a search bar if that's what you want.
    1. Tools
    2. Options
    3. Search
    4. Choose the 2nd item FF_search.jpg

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    As he shows in post # 1 (at the beginning).

Some things in threads are pretty obscure, but the main question in this one is darn clear.

9. Alex Ethridge

I got back my www.google.com page in all new tabs; but, my method of getting it back was not from any adjustments in Firefox's settings (which all failed).

I do a daily backup of all user data files changed or added in the last two days, which includes my Firefox profile.

I restored the files from my Firefox profile made several days ago into the current Firefox profile folder. Since my bookmarks toolbar changes daily, I then pulled places.sqlite from last night's backup so now I am 100% back to normal.

As an aside, daily backups of user data go back about 45 days and semi-annual full backups of user data to 1998.

10. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Sorry Terry, I didn't look at post #1 and should have.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    We've all been there and done that, Liz.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice