1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot get outlook setup

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by graybach, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. graybach

graybach Thread Starter

im trying to setup outlook i had incoming messages but couldnt send any

2. PedroHin

PedroHin

Some Internet service providers block port 25 which is the standard outgoing port.

1) who is your internet provider?

2) What is the domain name for your email (don't post your full email address, just the part after the @ symbol) -- like 'yahoo.com' or 'earthlink.net'

3. graybach

graybach Thread Starter

time warner cable

@graybach.com

4. PedroHin

PedroHin

I am assuming this is a domain that you own and have managed though a hosting company. That makes it hard for me to determine the name of your outgoing mail server, unless you know the name of the company hosting your email.

The company I work for has its domain hosted through 1and1.com, so even though our company has a domain name similar to our company ( like total.com ) our incoming mail uses pop.1and1.com as the server at port 110 and outgoing mail uses smtp.1and1.com at port 587 (AT&T blocks port 25 at our office)

Do you know how to check the serv names and setting in Outlook? What version of Outlook are you using?

5. graybach

graybach Thread Starter

it is a company account and the lady that had it all setup had the tech guy setup hers so she dont have the info i have outlook express 6 not sure how to check that is there anyway for me to find out the info I need

6. graybach

graybach Thread Starter

on the top of my email login screen says webmail dont know if that means anything

7. PedroHin

PedroHin

ok, so on the top of the outlook express window, click on 'tools', then 'accounts', then click on the tab at the top that says Mail. Then highlight what might be the only account listed and click on 'properties'.

we are interested in the contents of the 'servers' tab and the 'advanced'...

On the 'servers tab' what are listed as incoming mail and outgoing mail servers? Also while on this tab, doublecheck to see if 'outgoing mail server' has a checkmark next to it -- most often this is necessary, but Outlook Express doesn't automatically check it when the account is set up

On the advanced tab what are the port numbers for outgoing mail and incoming mail, and are any checkmarks checked?

8. graybach

graybach Thread Starter

somehow know i cant get incoming or outgoing when im in my inbox it says our company name the mail.php? does that mean anything i guess i have to try and set it all up again

9. PedroHin

PedroHin

mail.php ?? Hmmm, either you get your email via a webpage or your email client needs to access a MS-Exchange hosting somewhere. I am lost with Exchange and Web-Based Exchange hosting.

I am sorry, I thought this was gong to be a simple POP/SMTP mail client set up.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice