1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot get past "windows is starting up..." screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cninja, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cninja

cninja Thread Starter

hello everybody, i'm kinda new to the site. i found it while searching my problem on google. anyways, i have a compaq presario 2500 laptop with windows xp home edition sp1 installed. I had left my computer at the desktop screen to go do something and when I came back avast antivirus had come up with a message saying that one of my files was infected with a trojan. i believe the file was stored in the system or system32 folder. anyways, it had reccomended me to move the file to avast's "virus chest", so I did. and i went ahead and worked on my laptop as normal. then after shutting my computer down and starting it back up later in the day, i found that my laptop would not load any further than the blue "windows is starting up..." screen. i let it sit there for about 30 mins. so then i went to my desktop and started researching my problem on google. i tried going into safe mode, but it still gets stuck at the same screen. i tried the option for booting with the last good settings, and that didnt work. then I found an article on this site that reccomended doing an xp repair with xp install cd. i did that, step by step, and that still did not do the trick. it still hangs at the "windows is starting up..." screen, even in safe mode.

i'm getting a bad feeling that I am going to have to format the hd. There's alot of data on my laptop that I didn't have backed up, so I was wondering if you guys had any other ideas that I could try to get this thing booting properly again, before I have to resort to formatting. if there isn't anything i can do, is there a reccomended process that i can do to backup my data before formatting the hd and reinstalling? any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well removing a Windows System 32 file doesn't sound good....from that same screen where you see Safe Mode, can you choose "Last Known Good Configuration"?

3. cninja

cninja Thread Starter

yeah, i tried that option, and it still hangs at the same screen

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

5. redfoo

redfoo

My system hangs when I booting xp from cd!!!...and hangs on last know good config...please help!!!

6. HalTrout

HalTrout

How about using a dos boot disk. Get to the dos prompt and see what file got moved to the vault. Maybe you can restore the file in dos mode and save windows. If not, copy the windows files you need into another dos directory for safe keeping until you get a good copy of windows installed.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/572980

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice