1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot get to a specific URL

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by wahine, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wahine

wahine Thread Starter

Here is the deal: I ordered from this site buybuttonparts.com before my laptop network plug broke, sent my laptop to be repaired, it's back and for whatever reason I cannot get to their site any longer. I've called Charter Tech Support and they're able to get to it. I shut down Zone Alarm, set everything in IE6 back to their defaults and still cannot get there; I've set IE to NOT search from the address bar and I'm getting "Cannot find server..." anyone have any suggestions at all as to where I can start? OH I did have a couple of friends check if they could get there however; they’re on CenturyTel not Charter.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It's not available from here, so I suspect that the problem is not at your end.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

4. wahine

wahine Thread Starter

Thanks kiwiguy for confirming I haven't lost my mind. Any suggestions from anyone as to what I can do? Anyone at all -- I'm willing to try almost anything ;)

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

wahine,

I just remotely connected to three other sites and all were able to connect to
    http://buybuttonparts.com/

So I wouldn't be quite ready to say the problem is not at your end.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

To see if it is a DNS problem, you might try using their IP address of 67.18.52.81

If that works and you have a NT based OS, you might try flushing your DNS cache - start / run / IPCONFIG /flushdns

7. sekirt

sekirt

Is that the only site you have a problem connecting to?

1) If so, search your system for a hosts file. The one you want to open will have no extension (not: Hosts.sam or Lmhosts.sam). It can be opened in Notepad.

See if there are any for buybuttonparts.com. There might be more than one entry. It may look like the following:

127.0.0.1 buybuttonparts.com

If you find it, delete it. Or if not certain, place a # at the start of a line
    to force Windows to ignore it.

The hosts files act as a redirect, so when you go to a site that is listed in there, it redirects your command to your local system.

2) Check Internet Explorer->Tools->Internet Options. Security Tab. Make sure buybuttonparts.com isn't being blocked in Restricted Sites.

3) On the General Tab. Delete Files. Delete all offline content. Delete Cookies. Delete History. Unless, you save some particular items for some special reason. Then you will have to selectively delete those items in Windows Explorer.

sekirt

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It must be a DNS issue, as the IP address works fine.

Perhaps they have had a change of IP address, or host ISP and all the internet DNS servers are not yet fully updated. Some can take a day or two.

9. wahine

wahine Thread Starter

Sekirt -- I am in the process of trying to do what you have suggested. However I am not clear on what I am searching for -- do I search for "hosts" or "lmhosts" or anything with "host" in it (??) as long as there is not file extension correct?

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

wahine,

Can you also connect using the IP address I posted earlier as well?

If you want to edit the hosts file, it all depends on what OS you have for where it is located.

For Win9x it is in the \windows directory
    For NT based OS it is in the \windows\system32\drivers\etc or \winnt\system32\drivers\etc directory.

11. wahine

wahine Thread Starter

Bob, No I could not get to it with the IP either. But I did find the "host" file without the extension that sekirt suggested but there was nothing for the url. I sent an email to them and explained again what was going on and they replied that they're server was down until midnight so I'll try again shortly. It's just too weird. I do need to ask probably a *duh* question but is XP considered an NT based OS? Also I'm going to do the IP Flush you suggested first. Thanks and I'll let ya'll know what happens.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yes, XP is an NT based operating system so you can do the IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS. But if you can't get to the web site by IP then this likely won't do much good.

13. wahine

wahine Thread Starter

Sorry it's been so long... the flu is running it's course in my home -- not pretty -- back to the subject at hand... You can close this thread... don't know what happened but it's all good now. I guess I'll never know. Thank you all again for being so great!

14. sekirt

sekirt

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323842

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice