1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot get to desktop: "verifying DMI Pool"

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by strattonml, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. strattonml

strattonml Thread Starter

I own a pionex cpu with windows 98. While starting my pc, the black background screen with the loading messages freezes with the following message "Verifying DMI Pool Data........" The cursor is still flashing but the screen does not change. Can someone please help me. Thank you.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. strattonml

Thank you for your help however the instructions are somewhat confusing. The instructions tell me to save the changes I made in the BIOs to the PC boot diskette, however I don't' understand the process. I did get the message (Update Success). I hope that I can receive some knowledge on this issue. Thanks

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're right that is a little confusing. The save they are referring to is just the exit with save option in the BIOS. Then they are presumably instructing to reboot with a startup floppy, although the instruction to shut back down after the memory count would seem to make this irrelevant.

If it's any consolation, this is a very tough problem even for the most experienced to deal with. The success rate in my observation is only about 25% without a reformat, and sometimes even that fails.

If you look through your BIOS properties pages, you should also see some place an option to "reset configuration data"; this sometimes works as does redetecting the drives.

You are trying to resolve this without resorting to step 9 -- partition and reformat.

You should also know how to reset the defaults by either removing the cmos battery for a minute or two or shorting the jumper which is nearby.

5. strattonml

Thanks for your help thus far, however I am not clear on partition and reformating. are yor refering to Reinstalling windows? Also where is the cmos battery located? What is a jumper. I hope that I am not irritating you Rollin' Rog

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

A repartition and reformat will result in loss of all data, so presumably you are trying to avoid that. A simple "reinstall" will not work for this.

In following the instructions, have you removed the drive, reset the BIOS to defaults, startup and shutdown one or more times, reconnected the drive and tried rebooting?

The cmos battery is typically a silver, quarter sized battery on the motherboard. Next to it you should see some jumpers which are labelled for resetting the cmos. They are essentialy 3 'pins' with a small 'cap' which will cover two of them at a time. If you can't find the jumpers, just remove the battery for a minute before replacing. The pc should be off of course.

You certainly are not irritating me, and I'm happy to provide whatever help I can within the limits of my knowledge. Unfortunately, this is the type of problem that few of us have had to deal with personally, and help is offered mostly on the basis of known procedures that have been tried and recommended before.

By the way, do you know the motherboard model for this system?

7. strattonml

Rollin' Rog I appreciate your responce, and I am attempting to remove the drive and reset BIOs and startup and shutdown. I am also going to reset the Cmos battery. I will let you know what happens. I thank you again for giving your time and sharing you knowledge.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're welcome. I have seen it recommended to startup and shut down several times after resetting the BIOS with nothing but the floppy connected. The idea is to flush the current, apparently corrupt, configuration data so that everything will be properly redetected when it is reconnected.

Good luck with it.

9. strattonml

I removed the CMOS baterry for approximately 1min and I also did the jumper. I am not totally clear on removing the drive. Are you saying totally disconnet all the drives cables? I removed the connector (wires that are in a protective plastic covering) and reconnected it. When you say Defualt BIOS what are you refering to? On my BIOS Setup I have the following list:

Virus Warning :Disabled
    CPU Internal Cache :Enabled
    External Cache :Enabled
    CPU L2 Cache ECC Checking :Disabled
    Quick Power On Self Test : Enabled
    Boot from LAN First : Disabled
    Boot Sequence :A,C,SCSI
    Swap Floppy Drive :Disabled
    Boot Up Floppy Seek :Enabled
    Boot UP NumLock Status :On
    Typematic Rate Setting :Disabled
    Typematic Rate (Chars/Sec) :6
    Typematic Delay (Msec) : 250
    Security Operation : Setup
    PCI/VGA Palette Snoop : Disabled
    OS Select For DRAM > 64MB : Non-0S2

Is AWARD a motherboard model? That is the only name I could find on my motherboard. Was I looking in the right place for the model name? By the way so far I havent' been able to get pass the ERROR. I am still stuck however I will follw your advice.

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You should disconnect all the cables to the hard drive at least. Just remember how they go back.

The "load setup defaults" is an option that should be on the first Bios Screen (see attachment).

Award is the name of the BIOS, not the motherboard, however if you copy the id number you see on the Setup page, we may be able to track it down.

Also on the PNP/PCI configuration page, look for an option to "Force update ESCD". Do this after you have the drive reconnected, if the other procedure doesn't work.

Attached Files:

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice