1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot get to desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by beachy, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beachy

beachy Thread Starter

My computer was working fine with windows xp. I downloaded several songs from Kazaa last night. When I got up this morning the computer takes a long time to boot up and will not boot to the desktop but gives an error message that says:
    "lsass.exe-unable to locate component. This application has failed to start because lsasrv.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem."
    I have tried to start the computer in safe mode and in the most recent working condition from the F8 startup menu. I get the same result. I don't know what happened. Did I get a virus? What can I do to restore the computer? Do I have to re-install windows xp? All I get is a black screen with a mouse pointer. No desktop and can do nothing.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sounds like your system got corrupted, hard to say how. I think you need to boot from the CD and run a system repair and see if that gets you back.

3. beachy

beachy Thread Starter

I tried booting from the cd. I tried to do the system repair and there are a bunch of commands that will not work or are not recognized and asks to skip or retry. When retried they still don't work.

4. Dan O

Dan O

There are no known viruses to infect MP3 audio files. There are several hoaxes along these lines here is one of them.

But what you use to download can give you a virus, such as Gnutella.

What did you use?

Do you have a virus scanner software package and have you updated it lately?

5. beachy

beachy Thread Starter

I used the Kazaa network. I'm not sure if that is the same as Gnutella. Unfortunately I do not have an antivirus installed.

6. Dan O

Dan O

7. beachy

beachy Thread Starter

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to get on that page. Register for all these Kazaa programs? I'm using another computer right now and would like to know how I would use these programs after downloading these other programs. I do not have a cd burner on this computer I'm using now. So how do I use them on my corrupt computer?

8. Gill

Gill

9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there beachy...

I'm sorry but it sounds like a complete re-install to me...

10. beachy

beachy Thread Starter

Hi Jedi_Master,
    Is there any way to re-install windows xp without formating the hard drive and wiping out all the documents and mp3's?
    Thanks.

11. Dan O

Dan O

First make sure you following the instructions in the link Gill provided, as a XP reinstall will not remove the virus.

The XP reinstall should not affect your document and MP3 files, but you most likely will have to reinstall your applications. See this MS article also: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;312369

Good luck.

12. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Well...

As Dan O said a reinstall will not get rid of a virus...

What I would do if this were my pc, and I had documents, and files that I didn't want to loose, is to try the reinstall, if the files weren't stored in a Windows folder such as "My Documents" then you shouldn't loose them ( when I did, I lost whatever I had in that folder ), then go here and run a scan...

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice