Cannot get to internet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tdeffenb

My operating system is XP Home Edition, Sony laptop. I recently downloaded IE7 and installed, install seemed to go well. Ever since, I have not been able to access the internet, IE7 is attempting to load: "http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74005" How do I correct this?

tdeffenb said:
My operating system is XP Home Edition, Sony laptop. I recently downloaded IE7 and installed, install seemed to go well. Ever since, I have not been able to access the internet, IE7 is attempting to load: "http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74005" How do I correct this?
do you get onto the internet then it wants to download that or everytime you click on the browser icon.

For starters, are you getting a valid IP address assigned:
Start / Run / cmd
then run IPCONFIG /ALL and post the results

If you are, at that same cmd prompt, try a few basic ping tests:
ping 4.2.2.1
ping www.yahoo.com

Do you get any replies

tdeffenb

Thanks for responding! When I click on the icon, it immediately attempts to load the site I listed.

tdeffenb

Bob, I did the ping on the addresses you gave me and they returned with no lost packets. I did not mention I have cable internet (Cox) abd a wireless network. I did the ipconfig and the IP addresses are fine, DNS is doing its assignments and DHCP server has made its assignment as well. How do I post the results, I cannot get to the internet? Thanks!

Did you check that your firewall is allowing IE7. Do you have another browser you can use like FireFox?

If you can ping both 4.2.2.1 and www.yahoo.com, then you are getting on the Internet, which is good news. Now the problem may be with the browser.

Can you check your e-mail if you use something like Outlook Express or Outlook

When you start IE, can you go to any pages, like www.yahoo.com

tdeffenb

I cannot get to Norton firewall, no matter what I do I cannot get the mangament console to come up. Same is true for SpySweeper also.

tdeffenb

I checked my e-mail at aol.com through Outlook. It seems the problem is either IE7 or Norton is blocking it. When I try to bring Norton's mgmt console up it goes to the opening screen, but when I click on a item, it gives a "Program Not Responding" reply.

I am having a similar problem with IE6 on XP Home. A denial of service in the browser/email, but ping to google etc as an IP address works. Updated to the latest definition file from Norton nad a full scan reports no problems. Went to http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx and downloaded the Malicious Software Removal Tool and ran it. Reported 6 worms and viruses. I have run this several times and am now down to 2 items (Mydoom and Netsky). Unfortunately. the computer is still being hijacked. The Norton "mydoom" removal tool reports no problem found.

Any furthur ideas?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online