1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot hear sound when plugged in speakers correctly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cliffo90, Mar 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cliffo90

cliffo90 Thread Starter

well when i got new speakers i plugged in everything correctly, but i couldnt hear any sound. so i gave my pc to a friend so he could fix it, and he installed a certain driver or something for the sound and it worked. but i reinstalled windows xp on my computer and lost what he installed. but my friend forgot what he did, and now i cant hear my sound again. is there anything i need to download to hear sound? can anyone help?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to install the correct sound drivers. DO you have a seperate sound card or is the sound part of the motherboard? We will need to model of either the sound card or the motherboard to point you to the correct drivers.

3. cliffo90

cliffo90 Thread Starter

how do i find the model of my motherboard? or the sound card?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is the computer a brand name system like a Dell? If so post the model on the case.

Or check your documentation that came with the computer.

To determine if the sound card is part of the motherboard or a seperate card look at the back or inside of the computer. If the place where the speakers are plugged in are a seperate removal PCI card then we need the info of that card. There may be some markings on the card to identify it.

If the jacks are part of the large circuit board then we need the model of the motherboard, which may also be printed on it.

If you can't identify either component then download and run Everest. In Everest look under Motherboard -> Motherboard section to get the motherboard model and/or name. Or for the seperate sound card look under the Devices -> Physical Devices section for any audio/soundcard entries.

Also if you have the CD's that came with the computer then the drivers should be on there and you should be able to install then from there.

I guess we should also check to see if you already have the drivers installed. GO to Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager and look under the Sound, Video, and Game Controllers section. Whats listed there? Any errors listed in Device Manager?

5. cliffo90

cliffo90 Thread Starter

ok, its made by msi, and its model is MS-6380

i looked inside the computer, and there is a green colored card thats attached to this huge red thing, which im guessing is the motherboard.

wat i got from Everest:

Motherboard Name MSI K7T266 Pro2 (MS-6380 v2.0)
    and looking under devices/physical devices, i found nothing that has to do with audio/soundcard entries

i dont have any of the cds or any papers because i got this computer from a friend. and the friend doesnt have anything anymore

6. brite750

brite750

it has onboard and you will need the mob drivers to get sound to work

7. cliffo90

cliffo90 Thread Starter

what is a mob driver and where do i get one?

8. brite750

brite750

MSI website

9. brite750

brite750

10. brite750

brite750

MSI MS-6380: MSI MS-6380 Motherboard : VIA KT333 Chipset + VIA VT8235 Chipset, 200/266 MHz FSB, Ultra DMA 33/66/100/133, 3x DDR DIMMS DDR200/266/333, max 3GB, 1x AGP (4x), 5x PCI, 1x CNR, Realtek ALC650 6-channel audio, 6 ports USB 2.0

your looking for a download of the via chipset drivers and the realtek sound card drivers

11. brite750

brite750

VIA4in1455_73.zip (chipset driver)

VIA USB2.0 Patch (Under WinXP+SP1) this one only if you have windows XP

VIA USB2.0 Drivers this if you have 98/ME

Realtek ALC Series AC'97 Audio Drivers
    this one for sound card
    these are the drivers your looking for

12. cliffo90

cliffo90 Thread Starter

thank you, you are a life saver, the sound works fine now and im happy

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/343676

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice