1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Install 1394 Net Adapter (after motherboard replaced)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dolo, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dolo

Dolo Thread Starter

Hello

I have recently been experiencing a very slow laptop. It works and is usable but it has gotten worse & worse. Boot time of 15 minutes. This is a 1 year old HP nx 6120 with plenty of memory (1.5gb) etc. Tried completely zapping it and imaging new OS (windows XP again) but this didn't fix the problem with it slowing going down hill over the period of a few days after new OS.

I decided to take advantage of the extended warrenty my company purchased with the laptop and contacted HP and requested a technician come and fix it (this was my first mistake). I've now gone from having a laptop which worked slowly to not at all.

The HP technician seemed to do all the right things initially such as disconnecting wireless card, disk drive etc and booting without them to see if that made a difference (it didn't). The tech then declared that he would replace the motherboard (he happened to have a new replacement with him).

So he replaced the motherboard however this did not fix the boot speed. Technician then declared... "I'll have to replace the harddrive which means reinstalling the OS so back everything up and I'll order new harddrive and return in a few days".

Unfortunately I didn't try logging laptop onto windows before the techy left and when I did log on I got an error "Cannot Install This Hardware 1394 Net Adapter". The computer will not log in and so I cannot get into it to backup my data (or work slowly as before).

The HP techy is not being very sympathetic over this and is talking about putting in new hardrive and me having to accept losing my data GRRRRRRRR. I asked him to put the old motherboard back but apparently it's against HP policy.

So my question, how do I get around this boot issue:confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597156

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice