1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot install anything. Unknown publisher error.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by striderbeta, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. striderbeta

striderbeta Thread Starter

Please help, I am trying to troubleshoot my brother's computer. He is running 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate and is completely unable to install any programs on it at all. Regardless of where he gets the program from, be it downloaded or from a disc, a popup always comes up saying the publisher of the file is unknown and it refuses to run the program, even run as admin. Windows Update constantly has errors completing any updates at all, and I suspect the problems are linked. This is with a fresh install of Win 7, and I'm told the problem first started with Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    I don't know that it is actually not allowing you to install (if it is the message that I am thinking of), but rather warning you that something is trying to install. It should also ask if you want to allow it or not.

I was going to try to take a screenshot of it, to see if I was guessing right, but it wouldn't let me.

But yeah, this is just a security measure of sorts, just to make sure that what you are installing is a trusted piece of software.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

4. striderbeta

striderbeta Thread Starter

@ techkid: I'm aware that UAC will try to prompt for an unknown publisher, however the problem is that EVERYONE is an unknown publisher now, including Microsoft, and it allows no way to continue the installation for an unknown publisher (I get a box that says the publisher is unknown and it is not safe to continue installing and it just has an OK button which dismisses the window.) I've attempted installing quite a few things, such as AVG antivirus, Malwarebytes, and even some hotfixes from the Microsoft Windows sites (some of the same updates Windows Update won't auto-install) and get this message on every attempt.

@ Rollin' Rog: I will definitely try the fixes in Fran's post and get back to you all on here. I'm not against starting over, but I already have tried reinstalling 3 times, formatting the drive before each attempt. The error persists regardless. Here's hoping Fran's way works. :)

EDIT: Attempted Fran's fixes and it didn't do any good. Still getting the same errors. Found that I can install programs from a flash drive or cd/dvd provided the program doesn't have to go online for any reason during installation. Any programs downloaded to computer still give me the unpassable Unknown publisher error.

5. antech

antech Banned

Seems like a Malware Problem,dosent it?
    Lets also check for that.
    What are the system specs?
    Follow the below instructions Carefully:
    1. Download HiJackThis from the link in my signature
    2. Run a Scan.
    3. Save a Logfile(On your Desktop)
    4. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING BY YOURSELF.
    (Fixing Anything Might cause Unwanted System Instability,BSOD's and Even Render your System Unusable)
    5.Copy and Paste all the contents
    6. Paste them in the reply Window

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Hard to believe this problem could survive a format and clean install from a retail Microsoft disk (you are using a legit disk and not something downloaded or outdated (eg. beta)?).

Were you able to activate the OS?

You might want to try running chkdsk on the drive and check the integrity. Also try downloading something in Safe Mode with Networking.

7. antech

antech Banned

Can be a Malware Problem.
    BTW,
    Which antivirus are you using?
    Again, what are the system specs?

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

A malware problem is not going to survive a completely clean install if the problem resumed immediately.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice