Cannot install my new hard drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

t1zzee

I have a compaq 3550. Running windows 98.
I had my 8 G Hard Drive replaced with a 40 G. A month ago or so I had some major computer drama and eventually returned the 40 G for a warranty replacement beleiving that was the problem. In the meantime I had reinstalled the original hard drive and wiped it clean. When my replacement came I tried to install it but I am running into the same problem I had before. I have read that sometimes larger drives cause problems with the bios. I have called western digital and they claim that the hard drive is fine. The problem is that when I go to boot I get a floppy disk fail error no matter if I use thier install disk or a window boot disk. But the weird thing is that my floppy drive works just fine when the other hard drive is installed. I have used the recommended jumper settings both wawys but that is no help either. Any suggestions???

Have you installed the system on to the new Hard drive? If there is no system on the hard disk the bios has probably been set to look for it on the floppy hence you get the disk error...

If this is the problem perhaps you could create a recovery/system floppy in windows 98 (- look in the help file - press f1 on the desktop). Boot from this floppy and install CD support. Then do a clean install of the new hard disk from the win98 CD.

If this doesn't work it may be because you haven't formatted the new hard disk which you can do from the recovery floppy.

By the way why don't you keep the old smaller hard drive and install the new hard disk as a slave??

Hope this helps

Steven

t1zzee

In your reply you mention installing the new hard drive as a slave. I don't think I have enough room in there (I have one of those thin computers) but if it is possible, how would I go about that and what would that do for me?

Sorry about the delay in reply - I'm sure there's someone out there that knows more about this but this is what I know:

Most computers have 2 IDE connections - each connection can hold a master and a slave unit. On most computers one IDE channel is connected to the hard disk and the other is connected to the CD drive. Usually the IDE lead has an extra connector on it so that can be used to connect another hard drive. Usually if the new drive is to be the slave it usually has a jupper that you set
to indicate this.

In certain circumstances with IDE CDRW devices etc I think you are best to have such devices as the master for speed reasons but as far as I understand I don't think it matters that much with second Hard drives.

In terms of fitting it in your machine - if the machine has a spare bay - usually with a front blanking panel you can usually buy a hard drive mounting kit which usually has all the bits you need to attach the drive to the machine.

I think I'm right about this - please correct me anyone if you think I have made a mistake on the details.

BTW sorry for the delay - was in London.

Good luck

Steven

How old is your computer? Larger drives just simply don't work with older computers. A bios upgrade might work, but it might not. Why did you wipe your old drive clean? Was there anything wrong with it? I wish you didn't do that. Do you have a win98 cd? Do you have the compaq recovery cd? If you do you can put in the old HD (leave the new one out) and put in all the old hardware and use the recovery cd, then use WD EZ-install software to image the old drive onto the new one. If you have a win98 (or any OS) cd then you can try to do a clean install but if the compaq is more than a few years old you are going to need the infamous compaq "hidden" diagnostics partition in which only compaq can make. In that case you need to start harping on compaq to give you one. (they don't exactly like to give things out to people--even if they are customers) If you don't have a recovery cd and you have an older computer then for now you will have to wait until compaw decides to mail it out to you. I have heard that compaq made programs available to make the "hidden" partition, but I haven't seen them anywhere, but I will nonetheless try to look for it. Good luck in trying to talk to a living person at compaq PR.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online