1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Install this Hardware | Access is denied

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johnhouk, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnhouk

johnhouk Thread Starter

On a fresh xp pro installation, I adjusted the resolution, mouse speed, then went into device manager, clicked my unrecognized wireless card, updated the driver using cd (normal procedure for those who don't want the systray app). It seem to install like normal but upon reboot, after the loading splash screen for windows i got a few nanoseconds of blue screen before it would reboot. I let it reboot a few times before resorting to using "last known good configuration" as the boot option.

After using this option, I no longer have "Access" to this driver. It will recognize and attempt to install, but after the first progress bar with the detected hardware name, I get the error window. (error reports within the Found New Hardware Wizard dialog window)

I attempted to restore the driver.cab file per the below url, but it didn't work.
    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/318954-access-denied-after-installing-wireless.html

2. Sponsor

3. mich2212001

mich2212001

are u logged in as administrator?
    laptop, or desktop?
    is the wireless card build in or after market purchased?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It sounds like the wrong or an unapproved driver. Is this a 64-bit system?

In any case, it is almost never a good idea to use drivers and software that come with hardware. Usually, they make the CD's with the very first releases of all the files thereon. You'd be much better off going to their site and looking for the most recent updates which will have the bugs that were found since the CD was made cleared up.

5. johnhouk

johnhouk Thread Starter

Fresh install, so yes Computer administrator by default
    Desktop with a linksys pci card

6. johnhouk

johnhouk Thread Starter

I will try a downloaded driver, however this disc has worked in this configuration before.

7. johnhouk

johnhouk Thread Starter

OK downloaded driver does the same thing.

8. mich2212001

mich2212001

if it's a fresh install. it sounds like a registry error or issue.
    try to download any software & install & see how that goes
    some like malwarebytes from http://malwarebytes.org

9. johnhouk

johnhouk Thread Starter

MBAM installs fine, as did this driver the first time around. It seems to me that my problem is related to using the "Last know good configuration" startup option.

10. johnhouk

johnhouk Thread Starter

OK times up. You guys fail. I'm reinstalling windows.
    Better luck next time.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/814410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice