1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot install Windows 7 on my computer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by question one, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. question one

question one Thread Starter

Recently i tried installing windows 7 on my computer and it freezes at the 'setup is starting' screen. Currently i'm running windows XP 32-bit on that machine but i am very eager to upgrade to windows 7. My computer specs are:

3gig DDR2 ram @800
    AMD64 x2 athlon 3800+ CPU
    Asus M2V-MX Mobo
    80gig IDE HD
    ATI x550 graphics card

I've tried using a SATA HD but i still get the same results. The computer itself is 3 years old but i am quite sure that it can easily run windows 7 looking at the specifications of the OS.

Thanks guys.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

3. question one

@Squashman, i have now and im like 100% compatible.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

Are you using an Upgrade Copy of Win 7 or a Full install version?

5. question one

@ dustyjay, its a full 32-bit version on a DVD. I'm adamant there are no faults with the DVD itself as I installed windows 7 on my newer computer with the same media.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

Are you trying to install the same copy on two different computers? Or have you uninstalled it from the "newer computer" first?

7. question one

I bought a new version from microsoft online but i dont want to download the ISO again so im just using the cd i burnt beforehand. Yes they are both Ultimate versions.

So, any solutions J-meister?

8. Byrone4807

Byrone4807

Does your laptop have dvd rom? If its a cd only, not much will happen..Are you trying to load the dvd in xp, if so try changing settings in your bios to boot from dvd first, then hard drive. reboot.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

I am still not clear if you are upgrading or clean install here as you cannot upgrade XP to Windows 7.

10. question one

what are you people talking about? LAPTOP? Do those look like laptop parts!? Its a desktop computer and yes i do have a DVD drive i'm doing a clean install. Cmon guys.

11. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

Are you getting to, or past the point of Partitioning and formatting the drive? Or is it freezing before then?

12. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

Just as a thought you might try D/L'ing a new copy of the .iso file and burning a new disc. then trying to install it from a freshly burned disc. After all you have two Keycodes. This is just a thought. The copy you already have may be locked to the Key Code you used on the newer computer, but I don't know that for a fact.

13. Byrone4807

Byrone4807

Hope you figure it out...Im out!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/902791