1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot install windows on older system

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Brenster4, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brenster4

Brenster4 Thread Starter

I was wondering if you might be able to help me. I picked up a working 4.3GB hard drive on Saturday and tried installing windows 95 and even 98 after that on an older system. I did all the formatting and what not. It is an old AST Advantage Adventure 4050d with a 486/66 system, 4 MB RAM with 32 MB extended, 2x CD-ROM, and it meets all requirements for installing both operating systems. The computer is an all-in-one (monitor built-in to the CPU). I can get Win 95 installed, but it freezes on the first reboot, as does Win 98. I tried step by step confirmation as suggest on Microsoft.com and that doesn't work. When I restart the system again, the entire hard drive erases. I cannot find anything on the internet for this. Maybe you know why this is happening. Is there too much memory for the system? Is there a built-in program on the computer that affects the installation? I have no idea what to do from here. Maybe you can suggest something to try, you would know better than I. I just want to use the computer to screw around with, nothing big. Thank you for your time.

2. JohnJ

JohnJ

WELCOME TO TSG

I since you only have 32mb of RAM I would say too much memory is not the problem. If anything I'd get more.

Do you have any trouble formatting the hard drive? And how are you going about doing it (boot disk or during the windows setup)?

When you say the hard drive erases, what exactly do you mean? I assume you are receiving an error at some point. Could you tell us what errors you are getting if any??

3. Brenster4

Brenster4 Thread Starter

i was told to use a windows 98 startup disk with cd-rom support to boot. the hard drive formats fine.

i don't get any error messages, win 98 freezes (hangs) on the logo screen and on the mouse.vxd command in the step by step confirmation (doesn't matter if choose yes or no). when i restart the computer after freezing, it says invalid system disk and i have to reboot using the startup disk. when i check the hard drive after rebooting, it says there is nothing in it (using the c:dir command). there is no label, nothing.

win 95 installs and then reboots for the first time. sometimes it goes all the way to detecting plug and play devices then it freezes up. most of the time though it hangs on the "running windows for the first time" screen.

i have tried three different hard drives, 250MB and two 4.5GB. so i know they aren't the problem. i just don't know what it could be since i have all the requirements needed to install the operating systems. i just think it may be the computer itself. i read somewhere that it may have a built-in anti-virus program, but i wouldn't even know how to go about finding that out.

i also saw at a website that my computer cannot have more than 36MB of RAM. i think it may have 8MB built in, so i would have 40MB total i guess? not sure if this is a big deal though. i guess i could try installing win 95 by taking out 16MB of extended RAM. let me know what you think before i do this.

thanks for the response.

4. JohnJ

JohnJ

It's worth a shot (taking out the 16mb). After all you won't be any worse of than you are now.

During the POST (when the computer first boots) you should see on the screen somewhere to press a button to enter setup. (most of the time it's either F2 or Del) You can check around in there for the builtin anti-virus program. You may bealble to find information about how much (if any) RAM is built into your system.

5. Brenster4

Brenster4 Thread Starter

when i go into setup, the options are very limited. unlike the computers of today, you can't do a great deal within setup. i guess i can check it out again. i will take out the 16MB and let you know how i make out. thanks again.

6. JohnJ

JohnJ

I had trouble installing windows 98se on a system the other day. I was about to give up then for some reason, I formated the drive with a Windows XP installation disk. After it formated the drive I stopped the XP installation and went back to installing Windows98. For some reason it worked. Not sure if that will help you any but if you have a newer version of Windows, you could try it??

Good luck!!

7. Brenster4

Brenster4 Thread Starter

well, i just tried installing win95 by taking out 16mb of memory. this didn't work either. the system installed the os and rebooted, configured some files, then all of a sudden switched to a screen that said "you may now shut off your computer or cntrl alt del to restart". it was like the shut down screen. so i restarted and the win95 was gone, nothing on my drive. this is so wierd, i don't know what to do. any suggestions? thanks

8. mobo

mobo

The antivirus you were told about would be in the system Bios. To enter it press the del key on bootup and look for it to disable..

9. Brenster4

Brenster4 Thread Starter

i think it may have to do with the system recognizing the hard drive. it won't format the larger disks right. no matter which drive i put in, it verifies during format at 405.2 MB. no idea why this is. i am gonna try the smaller one again and see what happens. any ideas about this???

10. mobo

mobo

You'll have to set the drive to LBA in the bios as well.

11. mobo

mobo

To set the Large Block Addressing in the bios enter it and click on standard cmos setup. Then highlight the primary master and then the modearea. Use the page up/down keys to select LBA then esc and f10 then reboot.

12. Brenster4

Brenster4 Thread Starter

no go, win98 freezes at the same spot. step by step confirmation i can get only to msmouse.vxd and then BAM! just like that the damn thing freezes. i am getting so flustered, i just don't know what else to do. any other thoughts?

13. mobo

mobo

Can you try hooking up a different type of mouse on this pc and retry..

14. john1

john1

Do a scandisk in DOS.
    that will 'mark' any un-useable bits on the Hard drive,
    then try the install.
    There may be some bad sectors throwing it out.

15. john1

john1

Oh, and put that ram memory back in,
    suggest you go for 95 (95b i hope)
    you wont like 98 at 66 Mhz,
    its far too slow, it wants new fast stuff !

Win 95b isn't too fast at 66Mhz, but its not too bad,
    except for loading pictures, then it tends to drag a bit.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166624

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice