1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot install Windows Update Q813489

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by beaglehound, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beaglehound

beaglehound Thread Starter

:confused:

Once again I come to my helpful friends here at Tech Support Guy.
    I have IE 6 SP1 installed. What's missing is update Q813489. I went to Microsoft's site and saved the update to my desktop. I'm trying to download it but keep getting the message, "This update requires Internet Explorer 6.0 Service Pack 1 to be installed." I HAVE that installed already! I double and triple checked to make sure. The Q813489 update (among others) is apparently a "critical" update so why do I keep getting that message that says I need to install SP1. I've browsed google till the cows come home and I can't resolve this. Does anyone know why this is happening and how I work around it?
    Thanks

Beagle (most frustrated).
    p.s. by the way I pretty much use Firefox as my main browser but still need IE 6 for some things.

2. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    BeagleHound:

This update is about 2 years old and installs the following files:

URLMON.DLL 6.0.2800.1170
    SHDOCVW.DLL 6.0.2800.1170
    MSHTML.DLL 6.0.2800.1170

You must be seriously behind in your other updates because I've got the following versions in my Windows 98SE computers with Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1:

URLMON.DLL 6.0.2800.1479
    SHDOCVW.DLL 6.0.2800.1606
    MSHTML.DLL 6.0.2800.1479

4. beaglehound

jd 957~

Thanks for the quick reply. Actually I saw the page you referred me to earlier but I may not have been paying close enough attention. It appears that if I want to install that update I would click Start>Run> and enter q813489.exe /q:a /r:n.

But...

Having looked at my good friend flavallee's comment I may be okay after all.

Flavallee~

I'm not behind in my updates.*s* My computer crashed a few weeks ago. I ended up re-formatting the hard drive and re-installing Win98. Because of the vintage of the OS, I went to the MS site and updated to whatever the latest version of IE 6 SP1 they showed. I realize now that I in fact have the last 3 files you posted which I'm assuming are the latest. I was surfing the web earlier today and saw the Q813489 update( not MS site) and checked to see if it was in my Add/Remove programs. It wasn't so I naturally assumed that I needed it. Does the current version of IE 6 SP1 no longer require that update, or do I still need to download it?

Thanks again you guys.

Beagle

5. TOGG

TOGG

I'm running '98 and IE6 SP1 and I don't appear to have that patch either, so it must be possible that it's been replaced by a later Cumulative Update, (there have been enough of them since April 03!).

The 'About' info for my copy of IE only lists five Q numbered updates and Q 813489 doesn't show up in Belarc Advisor or AIDA32 (I know AIDA's out of date but it's good enough for my purposes).

Windows Update keeps offering me a patch from April 2002 (Recommended not Critical) but it won't d/l properly and I think I've already got it anyway.

6. TOGG

TOGG

7. beaglehound

Togg~

Same here. My "About" doesn't list that Q update. What's interesting is there are 47 other updates (recommended?) at Windows Update site. Mostly for foreign languages and one or 2 for Media Player. I'm not interested but the Q813489 isn't even mentioned as a choice so you may be right. The latest version of SP1 might have it all taken care of. I really don't like IE 6 the more I think about it. Several weeks ago I asked the forum here their opinions of what browser would be the best to use. 7 replies immediately came back. Firefox was unanimous!

Thanks for your input. *s*
    Beagle ( feeling a little better now)

8. TOGG

TOGG

I have a copy of Firefox but, because I tried Opera as my first alternative to IE, and got used to it, I prefer it to Firefox.

Mind you, before I switched to Opera, I had my copy of IE thoroughly disabled in most areas, (and it still is, because it's still vulnerable, even if not being used).

9. beaglehound

Togg~
    You might be able to be a big help to me with the disabling of IE6 features etc.
    Would you mind creating a list of what you disabled and how?

Opera is a good alternative to IE6. I tried it out and liked it but got a little frustrated with some aspects of it. If Firefox proves to be too limiting, I'll try out Opera again.

10. TOGG

TOGG

I followed the advice for 'Securing the Internet Zone' in this article;https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/btw/ie/ie-opts.htm plus I had a little tool that disabled something called HTA scripting. ActiveX and scripting appear to be the major problems!

Although it's quite old, I think this article is still applicable to all but SP2 versions (although some recent patches to 'fix' scripting vulnerabilities may mean some entries now have different wording etc.) You will see that the emphasis is on Disable rather than Prompt.

Putting Windows Update into the Trusted Zone makes it work for me, although I think some of the other security things I have going stop it working as intended, so I have to get updates from the Catalog site as exe. files and install them myself.

11. TOGG

TOGG

12. beaglehound

Thanks Togg. I'll take a look at the references you've used and suggested.
    Beagle

13. beaglehound

Togg~

You might find this page interesting:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];lifecycle

If the link doesn't work try going to Microsoft's "Support Lifecycle" web site.

Beagle

Flavallee~ thanks for the reply. I think I just won't worry about it anymore. It more than likely has been updated already.

14. beaglehound

Togg~

You said:

<i>"I followed the advice for 'Securing the Internet Zone' in this article;https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/btw/ie/ie-opts.htm plus I had a little tool that disabled something called HTA scripting. ActiveX and scripting appear to be the major problems!"</i>

What little tool did you use? Can I download from somewhere?
    Beagle

15. TOGG

TOGG

It's called HTA Stop from here;http://www.nsclean.com/freebies.html

The only thing is I've had it a long time and, in addition to the various patches that have come and gone, I've disabled so many options in IE, that it may now be superflous.

My reading of those MS KB articles strongly suggests that the patch you are 'missing' was replaced in June 03, so you are probably right to stop worrying!

I got a file not found for that MS link, what was it about?

PS. I accidentally used the d/l address, here's the explanation of what HTAstop does; http://www.nsclean.com/htastop.html

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice