1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot install Windows XP - no options left to do.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by laagen, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. laagen

laagen Thread Starter

Hi people,
    I hope someone out there can help me because i am well and truly stumped with this problem.
    Here is the history

I ordered a brand new pc - Ath 64 X2 4600+ CPU, 1 GB RAM, 400GB SATA, 256MB 7900GT, 19" TFT, 16x DVDRW-DL
    Running Mcafee Antivirus / Ad-aware

I originally had problems when my Graphics card wouldn't work. I installed some older versions of the drivers and it was working okay. Then I had some problems with some dll files and i couldn't open Windows due to the system/config error at start up. I managed to repair that installation. THe next day, my PC would not boot and I could not repair it. I then found out, i had bad sectors on the Hard disk so i tried formatting it. It is basically redundant now.

I then put in an old Hard Disk and installed Windows on that drive - working fine for a few days, but i always had small problems with DLL files and different applications closing for no reason.
    Then the dreaded blue screen came -
    stop: c000021a {fatal system error} the windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x000026c.

I then used a Memory check and that was fine. I checked the disk using chkdsk - fine. I then installed Windows from scratch, formatting the disk in the process and when it is copying the files - it says that some of the files cannot be copied. I press esc and because there is about 50 files missing, it doesnt install Windows properly. NOW THIS IS THE SAME DISC THAT WORKED A WEEK EARLIER
    I then think its a problem with the CD - so i cleaned it and tried again. Same problem.
    I then managed to get hold of another copy of Windows from my brother and i have the same problem transferring files from the CD. I then tried using my other CD drive but the same problem.

I am now left with a PC that i cannot install Windows on.
    What do i do? The PC is less than 2 months old and the original Hard Drive is already broken due to bad sectors on the disk. Is it a hardware failure - motherboard, BIOS etc because this has happened twice now. Im thinking its more than a coincedence and its a hardware failure.

Please please help
    A very concerned and troubled PC hater

2. schusterjo

schusterjo

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

have you talked to cust serv where you bought it?

4. laagen

laagen Thread Starter

Here is an update with a few other options i have tried.

Is there another way to copy the contents of the CD drive - the i386 folder of the Win Xp disc to my hard drive using the repair console.

If i type "xcopy K:\i386 C:\"
    "the command is not recognised"

And if i " copy K:\i386 c:"
    "COPY does not support wildcards or directory copies"

I can however, copy the ntldr file with success.

I have also tried to reuild / add the boot.ini file.

"bootcfg /rebuild"
    "Scanning all disks....................
    Error: Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations. THis error may be cause by a corrupt file system, which would prevent Bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors"

I am now using the Active killdisk program

Thanks

5. laagen

laagen Thread Starter

I have emailed them several times and have had 1 response which was my original problem with the Graphics Card.
    I cannot phone them as they are an internet company however i am emailing them again right now.

6. Atomic Bartender

Atomic Bartender

I noticed you have 400 GB SATA type drive. And, that you said you changed drives to try that. Was the changed drive also SATA? If so, or at least in the case of the 400 gb drive, you may need to install separate drivers during installation. (that screen that pops up and says hit f6(i think) to install 3rd party SCSI drivers). If that's the case, you need to get those drivers and put them on a floppy (in the correct file format) and use it during install at the above mentioned time. I dealt with a similar problem once, and it took me a few tries before getting the right file on the floppy. But as soon as I did all the "can't copy file" errors went away and everything worked fine. Lastly, (I think), that not all bad sectors mean that your hard drive is damaged. I say this cause when I was dealing with the aboved mentioned, I also, at one point, saw a bad sector warning, but once I got everything right and then did a full scan no bad sectors were found...that was on a new drive also. Good Luck.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd start with the basics. Download the disk manufacturer's diagnostic and run a complete scan. Also, try several hours of memory testing:

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic

MEMtest86

8. laagen

laagen Thread Starter

THe new drive i put in was a IDE drive. I do not have the drivers for the SATA drive i have. However, i have installed Windows on that drive before when it happened the 1st time around with no problems.

As for the memory testing, i ran the Microsoft Memory Diagnostics and after about 5mins, it tripped my Wall Sockets but it had come up with the following beforehand.

Pass 6 - MATS+ - failed
    Pass 6 -INVC - failed
    Pass 6 -LRAND - failed
    Pass 6 -Stride6 - Failed
    Pass 6 -WMATS+ - failed
    Pass 6 -WINVC - failed

So it looks like the trouble is hardware after all. I will take out 1 of the memory modules to see if 1 of them is failing.
    Should a problem like this happen to a new computer - i havent had it even 2 months yet?

9. laagen

laagen Thread Starter

Thanks JohnWill - i fiddled around with the different memory modules and found 1 of the modules was giving me errors - LRAND. The errors were random though on different passes. Some say success and then on say pass 4 it would fail. I had two 512mb RAM installed on 2 RAM ports.
    I have now taken out the defect RAM and the files worked when copying from the Win XP disc. I have now got an up and running machine.
    Yay
    Thanks for everyones help.

I just now need to fix my hard drive that came with it and which reported bad sectors - Could this be down to the RAM though?

thanks

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Don't fool with the hard drive as it should be returnable if you go to the mfgr site and check "warranty status" they should give you an rma to return and replace it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/517740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice