1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Install Windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joshdura, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joshdura

joshdura Thread Starter

First off, I am a mildly technical person. I know how to build my own PC, etc. but am by no means an expert :)

So, a couple weeks back, my computer started acting funny. It would randomly blue screen, with the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error, and I decided maybe a format would fix it. So I formatted it, and once I got through the CD copying files to the hard drive, it would blue screen giving the same blue screen error.

I thought it might be a faulty RAID driver (I am using the ASUS K8V SE Deluxe motherboard), so I decided to grab a copy of the latest drivers, that didnt fix it, then I even tried the 64bit drivers, with Windows XP 64 bit, and that didnt fix it, but did give me a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONFAULT_AREA (or something like that). I googled it, and it told me that it had something to do with memory. So I figured it was the motherboard, since switching out the RAM didn't work.

So, I go buy a motherboard (an ASUS K8N), and install it. Now, it doesn't even blue screen, but when I get to the point in the Windows XP install, that it has to boot from the hard drive, it doesn't even go anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am thinking maybe I should try a new hard drive, but I would hate to spend any extra money on this, and not have that be the fix.

2. onsite

onsite

Ummmm , xp gets to the complete end of the text mode part of the install, where it formats and everything, then when it restarts to come back in the graphics part of the install xp never comes back ?

3. Sherry22160

Sherry22160

If U have a Seagate HDD Try this Seagate tool to test HDD

http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html

I would lean towards Memory.
    Swap in Completely (Compatable) New Memory

I had similar Prob with an OS Install.It would stop Randomly at Different Stages,even go though to near the end.
    It had me stumped until I replaced the Mem Stick with a New One.This I should have done "First" not last.....lol

Microscope...to the rescue........eheheh

Sherry

4. joshdura

joshdura Thread Starter

Exactly

Unfortunately, I dont have a seagate HD, but will try to look for one for mine. Also, I have tried switching the RAM out with a stick from a completely different computer (same kind of RAM though). Same problem.

5. onsite

onsite

if you think it is ram try this
    http://www.memtest86.com/

the program will build a bootable diskett
    if you do not have a floppy there is also an iso image you can burn ( not copy to) a cd.

6. onsite

onsite

all the manufacturers have free tools for their HDs

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It sounds like a memory problem. Post the type of ram you have ie corsair, kingston, etc and the model. Some ram takes more voltage than standard [2.5V]

Next I would look at the power supply. What brand and wattage do you have?

8. joshdura

joshdura Thread Starter

Ok, so last night, I ran the memtest86 for a good 5 hours, and it went through about 10 passes, and didnt find a single error. Didn't have time to test the hard drive yet though.

I'm not sure on exact model numbers, but heres what I do know...

RAM: Corsair DDRAM 1024MB 32MX8 PC-3200
    HD: Maxtor 160GB SATA (dunno model number, sorry)
    MOBO: ASUS K8N (brand new), was running the ASUS K8V SE Deluxe (is probably still working)

Any other suggestions if the hard drive test goes through?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Test the hd. While you are testing the hd, you should have an option to zero fill or low level format. Do that as well.

What brand and wattage of power supply do you have?

10. joshdura

joshdura Thread Starter

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That should be fine for a ps. If your memory checks out ok, zero fill the hd and test it with the drive mfg's utility.

12. joshdura

joshdura Thread Starter

Zero filled the hard drive, and tested it last night. Passed every test :( Any other suggestions? At this point I am all out of ideas haha

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I take it you still cannot install the os.

Have you tried removing any add-in cards like sound, nic, etc, disconnect any scanner / printer / card reader and try the install with just a bare bones system?

I am assuming you have tried a different hd cable and plugged the hd into another sata or ide connection.

14. joshdura

joshdura Thread Starter

I can't install the OS. I will try it tonight without any of the cards, etc...

Havent tried a different cable, good idea :)

15. joshdura

joshdura Thread Starter

Ok, so I went home last night, and tried to reinstall Windows on a fresh partition again, and it worked :) Thanks a TON for your help. Now I've just gotta get these damn wireless keyboard/mouse drivers working :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice