1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot install XP b/c corrupted files AND NTLDR is missing durringboot-up erro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AMD2200, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMD2200

AMD2200 Thread Starter

I got windows up and running for awhile on this new computer I built. Soon, I found out that, I found out XP had corrupted files. After going into XP Setup, and attempting to fix the problems, it still had problems reading files from the XP CD. I was NOT able to do a repair. Half way through a normal installation, it usually gave me the error saying that whatever files were corrupted and could not copy them over... Windows XP may not run properly press <ENTER> to retry and <ESCAPE> to skip file. After hitting <ENTER> over and over a million times to see if it would eventually work, I realized that it was hopeless becuase it had file after file that was bad. When attempting to go BACK into XP setup and doing it all over again INCLUDING reformating I had the same problems. I then realized that my only way to re-format the HD is using the floppy disk that came with the HD. Only problem is that it formated it into FAT-32. This format only took about 10 seconds if that to complete. However, it did remove XP's partitians and allow me to reinstall XP. After XP reformatted my HD BACK into INFT format, again, about half way through SETUP it did the exact same thing. Keep in mind I tried this whole deal about 5 times. I began to suspect the CD-ROM drive as being bad so I switched CD-ROM drives with one that works on my other computer. I made sure BIOS recognized it and all checked all the settings again, hoping that might solve the problem but it didnt. So as of now, the HD is in INFT format but i aborted XP setup because there were FAR too many files that were corrupted (pretty much every file after it hit the 55% mark. When I go to boot from the Windows XP cd, it now gives me the error... Verifying DMI pool data..... NTLDR is missing Press Ctl. + Alt + Del. I'm thinking that this problem might just be somthing small having to do with drive partitian's or somthing. My biggest barrier I think is finding out what is causing Windows XP Setup to have corrupt files. I have a boot disk (floppy) which I created under Windows XP on my other (P4 computer). The Windows XP CD is only 2 days old and doesnt even have the smallest scratch or anything. I'm ruling out that the CD is bad because that just doesnt seem right. I'm also ruling out any connection problems or IDE cables because I've already replaced them all and triple checked all connections. I'm hoping that its somthing which I can fix right away. I'm building this computer for my roomate and I have 3 weeks off of work. I have all the time in the world to fix it. I need to know exactly how I should tackle this delima. Just before this problem with XP having corrupt files it had trouble installing Medal of Honor Allied Assault and running it. I got it to run once but as soon as i clicked on a mission it kicked me out and said somthing about it couldn't read a .zip file because file was not unziped or somthing like that. That was right before it didnt allow me to boot normally and i had to run Windows XP setup to try and FIX the problem (which it was unable to).

I'm running an AMD2200 on a GA-7VAXP motherboard (AGP 8x MB from Gigabyte) 512 DDR PC2700 RAM. ATI Raedon 7500 64 MB DDR APG 4x. Western Digital HD 7200 RPM 8 MB cache. CenDyne combo DVD/cr-rw drive 32x10x40x12. Trying to run Windows XP /w service pack 1.

Thanks...
    -George

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I would go to the Hard Drive Manufacturer's site and download the diagnostic tools. Check the integrity of the drive.

I would also look at RAM. Do you have more than one?You can remove one at a time to see if that makes a difference.

Also, I don't know whether or not you can run F-PROT to check for viruses on and NTFS drive. It is a free DOS anti Virus.

Another thing to look at is heat. Are the fans running?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113315

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice