1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot install XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sbendigo, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sbendigo

sbendigo Thread Starter

When installing or upgrading to XP I get to where it say 39 minutes left and it freezes with a 1 inch by 1 inch blue square on a black screen. My hardware is a HP Pavillion P2 450, 96 MB RAM, 12.7GB HDD, 56K PCI modem, no NIC. What can I check?:mad:

2. bcon76

bcon76 Guest

This is just my experiance. A rather weird problem with upgrading. I had an old P133 running win95 and wanted to upgrade to win98. The machine ran fine until I tried to upgrade. And it still would if I would not have stripped it. Every time I tried to install win98 it would freeze up at various times. So I gave up and put the machine on the shelf. Now 6 months later I am building a new machine and I am having the exact same problem installing winXP. The only common denominator between the two machines is the video card. That is the only used part in the new machine. I can put the old vid card in my regular machine and it runs fine. I put my regular vid card in the old machine and install went fine.

Might not be your solution but you never know.

3. mhughes

mhughes

4. wacpt

wacpt

It seems a lot of people got WinXP for Xmas, or so it seems. Your problem is a common one with regards to upgrading to XP.

Unfortunately the news is not good. As a Reseller and MCSE technician of Microsoft products I'm going to give you the minimum specs to run XP.

Pentium 233 or similar.
    64Mb Ram
    2 GB hard disk with 650Mb free space.
    VGA Compatible

Recommended Specs.
    Pentium 300 or higher
    128Mb Ram
    2 GB hard disk with 650Mb free space
    SVGA or better

These specs are from Microsoft.

There are other issues to take into consideration also.
    Not all hardware and software is compatible with WinXP. New technology requires new hardware.

If you go to the Windows Hardware Compatibility site

Select rom the Product category only. This will list all the major hardware manufacturers and will list compatibility.

5. tlund_99

tlund_99

You should run the compatability test offered by the XP setup program before running the upgrade installation.It can save you a lot of time and trouble.

6. wacpt

wacpt

The compatibility test on the WINXP CD is good for upgrading, however, we have seen instances where the test tells you your system is compatible which is fine for upgrading from an existing OS, but running the test and getting the green light then reformatting the drive and doing a clean install on the same machine has caused problems. It seems that when upgrading, WINXP can use existing drivers, but a clean install needs the correct drivers or the correct hardware for WINXP.

Just a point to keep in mind.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64908

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice